HybridZ

slave cylinder

Guest Anonymous

If you had to drop the trans, then he wouldn't have said half hour.

It's on the side of the trans, there's a hose with a fitting going into it and 2 bolts attaching it to the bellhouse.

When the new one (should cost like $25) is on, you gotta bleed the system.

Sure it's a bad slave? Leaking? Clutch works when you top off the fluid, but maybe you have to pump it? Unless the slave is nuked (you say "gone" does that mean it's missing?), then the car should be driveable. Otherwise, it's the actual clutch that wants replacin'.

That does require dropping the trans and will take much longer than a half hour. My record is like 6 hours..... :D

the slave is held on by 2 14mm bolts on the passenger side of the tranny. make sure you loosen the hose from the slave before you take out the 14mm's, but dont remove the hose yet. drop the slave and take off the hose. out new one on and bleed like brakes. very simple.

and my record is 2.5 hours. i had to go to work and i am very anal about my ride. i must feel comfortable.

Well, I always have trouble getting the trans back in - lining up the input shaft with the clutch. Everytime I do a clutch, I swear I'll invest in a tranny jack "next time". And then I never do. Could prolly cut it down to like 4 hours with a tranny jack to line things up rather than the bench press grunt method.

For what it's worth, the sadistic designers of the LS1 clutch system decided to create a whole new kind of slave cylinder that lives inside the bell housing. SO, when the lsave goes, you DO have to drop the trans. Wanna adjust the slave action? Ha HA! You can't You gotta pull the clutch and flywheel, put it on a press and then fiddle with some spring/lever mechanism.

Guest Anonymous

To replace a tranny and get it aligned to go back to the in place engine , I obtained two extra long bolts that act as pilot bolts to align and draw the transmission to the engine block. Once you get these bolts started then one does not have to depend on the jack so much for support. Once the transmission splined shaft comes in contact with the engine,, one can turn the engine crank slightly to engage the splines (and ram it home).The long L Block water pump bolt will work for a pilot bolt.

Guest Anonymous

I can see using the bolts as guides, but you have to be careful drawing them up. I've seen people not get the pilot shaft and miss it by a bit and end up snapping off bellhousing bolt ears. (this wasn't on a nissan BTW). If you use a splined pilot shaft tool while bolting down the pressure plate and making sure it slips easily in and out of the pilot bushing while your tightening the pressure plate it should almost slide in with no trouble at all. Occasionally as noted if you get it close and are able to push the clutch fork a bit it'll slide home with a thunk. :D

Regards,

Lone

How do you guys get them together so easy. Every time I do a clutch I fight to get the input shaft in the pilot bearing until I just about give up. :mad: Then, plop, it goes in. I never know whether to shout for joy or scream with anger. emo.gif

I had one car that had no pilot bearing. They called it a floating input shaft. Only one, the rest I fought. :(

Guest LIghtningZ

Ah, yes the joy of having 12 trained monkeys to shout orders at and have them carry out your dirty work :D:confused: Oh crap wait that was the Wizard of Oz not me bonk.giftwak.gifmalebitchslap.gifcheers.gif Then theres the worry of breaking a nail...LOL