HybridZ

Removing an Aftermarket Alarm...

Guys, My Mustang has an aftermarket alarm that is a royal pain in the ass... I'm not experienced with alarms at all... The plan is to remove the system from the car, since it arms virtually ALL the time and the damned thind is constantly going off when you do ANYTHING to it. Is there anything I need to be aware of when removing one of these, other than removing the battery terminal? Is there a kill switch to the ignition on most of these, for tamper purposes???

I have GOT to get rid of this damned thing...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

there may be a starter kill depending on the alarm. it shouldnt take you more than 30 min to pull everything out though. all you need to do is unplug the brain .... shouldnt be hard to find... just look for where all the added wire conjugate. some where around the main ignition harness the power for the brain and the starterkill will be tapped in. if it has a relay on the starter wire thats starter kill. just pull it out and reconnect your starter wire.

nic

Most aftermarket alarms installed are done by lazy people, If they are done by Best Buy or Circuit City or little mom and pop shops. They almost always put the starter kill near the steering column. If it is a later model alarm the starter relay may be built-in. The brain box usually is located also on the bottom left hand side of the column. Have you tried adjusting the motion sensor on the darn thing? This sometimes also works, just pull the fuse to it, it should leave it off and you still have full function of the car, but it does not work on all models. Also you could just clip the siren for the moment.

...Thanks guys... I know where the "Brain" is located, and it does have a valet switch, but the switch is hit and miss in operation. The unit is pretty much a no-name unit, and isn't much more than a noise maker in my book... I went to put my wifes Cell phone back into the car this morning, with it in Valet, which means the alarm is OFF and the damned thing still went off... At 5AM... With the keys NOT with me...

The thing has GOT to go.

Mike