HybridZ

Z or Supra for the built engine

Tony240ZT

Here's the deal, my significant other is cool with me putting money into the cars. She would rather I just have a large amount of power in a heavier car than the Z car for safty reasons. Also, She really likes the comforts of the Supra, which is roomy, quiet, and has a smooth ride. Quite the oposite of the light 240z with tokico suspention, and very little sound dampening material.

I've got this engine management system, 7M-GTE engine with header/t4 turbo/larger injectors, HKS FMIC, 5 speed tranny with TRD clutch in the Z car right now. Still no exhaust system, and no drive line made up, basicly just mounts. The engine would slip right into the Supra, obviously.

I'd like to keep a fast car in the family, and since the Z car doesn't sit more than 2 I'm afraid I might have to loose it as soon as I have kids. The supra on the other hand sits 4. Also, the surpa already has room for larger tires, has a strong LSD diff in it, already has good sized disk brakes all around, has ABS, PS, A/C, etc.

Do I stick the low mileage 7m-gte into the supra or finish it off in the Z and risk loosing my setup after a baby comes into the family. Keep in mind the woman might be more supportive about more mods if she likes the car as well.

If I let the Z car go maybe one of you would like the engine that is currently in the supra (has 115K miles with new head gasket), to finish up the project.

240z.jpg - OR - supra.jpg

Big car is one thing, heavy has nothing to do with safety IMO, unless you are looking at a 5,000 caddy in hopes of stopping all other cars like a brick wall.

With that in mind, the Supra isn't all that big. But engine vs engine, the Supra has OBVIOUSLY been taken to further points in the horsepower range. I know a guy who dumped about 60k on totally tearing down a Supra (he bought it because he thought it was cheap for the power, obviously he strayed from the path of intent), and turned about 650 HP with tuning issues. If you dont want to work on the car and tune it yourself I dont know why anyone less than filthy rich puts themselves into that position.

If you want safe, get a big car. I like little cars though for many reasons, you could always get a well built cage though. Bank on that running you about 2k.

I dont know that I've heard of Supras with more than 987 or so RWHP, but thats way more than anyone needs anyway. As for the HONESTY in what the stock bottom will take I have no idea, many claim never to have touched the stock bottom, and it could be true, but how long will one hold up to beyond 500/600 HP? I dunno.

If you've never been in a 500 HP car though, my advice is take small jumps, 100-200 HP tops. If you are an older drive though, confident in your abilities, use your own judgement, but most people do not know the reality of doubling your horsepower or even more, a car becomes nearly undriveable very fast, until you get used to the power levels.

Guest Anonymous

Well, personally I think that the Supra is a good idea, although I do love the little Z car. Tony bought me the supra about three years ago while working for Rootsweb, and although we're not planning on having children soon, whatever car that we do keep will be something we plan to have for a very long time. I guess you could say I'm sort of sentimental of the Supra.. you know my first turbo and all. I absolutly LOVE the Z car, I mean who doesn't? Being as light as it is, you can give it an awesome amount of power. After Tony turbo'd the orange 240, he let me drive it, and let me tell you, I was so pissed that he didn't do it while it was MY car! They are the perfect car for giving power, because being so light they really have a lot of spunk. And that is something I love. Right now, the Supra feels a bit sluggish, especially in comparsion to the 240. I can't even image what the silver 240 is going to be like.

Tony has hade his silver 240 since he was 16- and now he is considering getting rid of it because of me. (and future kids, that are far far far in the future) What kind of girl would I be if I let this guy do this??? I think that he should FINISH the Z because it's going to be totally kick ass! And don't ever get rid of any car because of some girl! After all, what girl could possibly make you feel the way a turbo does? (or what guy in my position?)

~Kimberly

Are you guys using each other for what toys the other has? :D Just kidding of course.

I only know of 3 generations of the Supra, it was about 3050 pounds one gen, 3650+ another! Then finally down to Camaro weight :rolleyes: at 3450. Sure the turbo gear adds weight, but I am guessing they got sloppy with weight because the power "makes up for it", and a heavy car is a comfortable riding car (Caddy).

But, turbos have some big plusses too, power + good gas mileage can be achieved, something to be said for that!

I love her toys :D

I have the 3rd generation supra, the first gen to have it's own body style (not sharing parts from the Celica), and first to have factory turbo (7M-GTE). I'd say it's the heavy one 3650+ pounder.

Would love to have the MKIV supra, but my supra doesn't bring much attention by cops and ricers and such. It's almost like having a 2 door Camery, with no one knowing what's under the hood. The silver Z draws a bunch of attention, and has gotten keyed because of it. Lots of ricers rev on me and such. I don't even have the 4 foot wing, or sticker :confused: