HybridZ

Sleek Z G-Nose Concept 1D

Sleek Z

gnose1d.jpg

Not sure how much interest there may be here in such things, but FWIW, I have worked up a rather subtle design variation on the G-Nose look that I'd like to get some feed back on if anybody cares to comment.

Main departures from stock lines are in the hood & fender slopes, cowl vents, grill area, lower air dam outline, rear fender arc and back tail/spoiler section. This is a work in progress somewhat related to the 2+2 Z convertible project shown earlier, but mostly I am trying to practice my illustration skills while exploring subtle detail changes to the S30 body. Full size image and a few extra notes can be seen at http://zparts.com/showcase/sleekz/szconcepts/misc/gnose1d.html Image displayed on that page comes across stronger than one displayed above with light background. Check it out and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks much for any feed back or suggestions you care to make.

Looks cool Eric!!

One thing that strikes me visually, and I can't put my finger on it, is the nose. Spoiler is ok, but the nose looks to be too sharp (pointed) or something. Like I said, can't quite see what is bothering me?

I love the overall lines though, and esp. the rear!!

2thumbs.gif

Tim

Tim, just the man I wanted to talk to. How's your rear tail light project progressing? That I do not have good photos of your design in my Tail Light Showcase is my fault due to just getting behind with my promises, but I am still hot to get photos of yours, the guy with the 300ZX conversion and Dan Juday's surprise, showcased there ASAP. Got any time and energy to work on a few for me to display? I think your idea and it's execution is one of the best I have seen in a long time.

About what's troubling you with the nose. No doubt the proportions/length of the hood and the distance of the front wheel wells from the leading edge of the door is part of it. I drew this body without an exact S30 body outline as a reference point. Hence the wheel base may be off far enough as to make you uneasy.

As for the nose, keep in mind that it is patterned after a G-nose's extension beyond the stock hood, but is not meant to be a copy of the G-Nose's design nor exact dimensions. The slope of the hood and front fenders are purposely raked down steeper than stock position. Part of reason is that I am intrigued with ideas of cutting away as much of the underlying upper front unibody structure as possible before laying in substitute fiberglass fenders and altered stock hood or a tilt front end. This nose/hood design reflects those interests.

To be more realistic, i should probably work up a see-through skeleton outline of a stock S30's underlying unibody structure from both a factory illustration as well as a side profile photo of a S30 with the fenders and hood removed so I showing drawing-in, cut down "limit lines" along the unibody structure to show how far a customizer might be able to go practically.

Last year Rory Batemen, designer of the Tomahawk Z kits, lent me his photo album history of his life involved in modifying cars and designing fiberglass kits. Within there, there were many crude photos showing where and how he drew lines on Z cars and underlying structures as he worked up his approachs to making the dramatic body panels that he is well know for. I've been thinking that I should start getting more serious along the same lines if I want my illustration concepts to have more credibility and worth to others.

Eric,

I am busy with bodywork now. I am however, starting from the front and moving back. It is taking me wayyyy long. 3 days just to fill in and smooth out the windshield tray (wiper assembly cover). I have joined and filled the headlight buckets and am busy smoothing out the little 'potholes' in the fenders (from people leaning on the fenders when doing engine maintenance). I still need to do the hood and smooth out the filler from the removed drip rails. It will likely be a couple of weeks until I get to the rear panel.

I will take many pics of my progress as discussed.

Tim