HybridZ

timing gear sets

You would have to go back manually through the archives since I'm not sure if the search function is working with the old posts in this new forum format.

Grumpy says he has used gear drives for years with no ill effects on the valve train or the rest of the motor (remember that there is always a rumor floating that the 'excess vibration caused by the gear drive can have negative effects on the valvetrain') . I was encouraged to hear this and would like to use a gear drive in my NA motor at some point 8) .

Keep in mind that if, by chance, you are going to efi and turbo on the V8, a gear drive is not compatable with a knock sensor---that is what I have gathered from my research.

Davy

Yeah, the general "rumor" is that gear drives at high RPM (NA) cars is hard on the valvetrain. If your car has a knock sensor, then dont use one or get rid of the KS.

Its been done on an LT1 using a "silent" Peet Jackson gearset, still makes noise of course, brought the knock sensor into play, and was removed after a few months. The timing cover also had to be clearanced for it.

Guest Casey240Z

I have gear drive on my car couldn't tell you anything about performance or durability but it is so loud. I can't even hear what my exhaust sounds like until about 4000 rpms. So I would advise against it.

your very unlikely to have any problems WITH A PROPERLY INSTALLED AND CLEARANCED SILENT STYLE GEAR DRIVE, and they do last almost forever without getting slack or allowing your timeing to change. NOW THEY CAN CAUSE A KNOCK SENSOR IN AN efi ENGINE TO RETARD THE TIMEING , SO IF YOUR USEING efi WITH A KNOCK SENSOR A CHAIN DRIVE MIGHT BE THE BETTER CHOICE. (btw im useing a gear drive on my efi engine with no problems) SMOKEY YUNICK of STOCKCAR FAME USED GEAR DRIVES and found valve train stability was much better over 6000 rpm, in fact in his book "POWER SECRETS" he says "I SEE NO REASON TO EVER USE A CHAIN DRIVE TO DRIVE THE CAMSHAFT IN A RACING ENGINE!" THEN GOES ON TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE "watching a chain drive useing high speed photography its amazing that they every last five minutes" (PAGE 90) btw that old MYTH ABOUT GEAR DRIVES CAUSEING VALVE TRAIN HARMONICS IS JUST THAT..A MYTH, TRY AND FIND ANYONE WITH DYNO PRINTOUT PROOF< RUMORS, FRIENDS THAT SAY THEY HAVE SEEN PROOF, YES, FACTS ...WELL IN 33 YEARS OF LOOKING IVE NEVER SEEN ANY!!! (theres SEVERAL THOUSANDTHS CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE GEARS PLUS KEEP IN MIND THAT THERES 16 VALVE SPRINGS WITH AN AVERAGE OF ABOUT 200LBS OF FORCE each!! HOLDING THE CAM IN PLACE, THATS WELL OVER A TON OF FORCE, ON THE CAM, SOME ON THE UP AND SOME ON THE DOWN CAM LOBES THAT TEND TO PREVENT HARMONICS

BUT theres nothing wrong with a good CLOYES TRUE ROLLER CHAIN DRIVE, PROVIDED YOU REALISE THAT YOULL NEED TO INSTALL A NEW CHAIN ABOUT EVERY 50,000 miles if you intend to keep the valve timeing exact.

Do not forget that Smokey specifically said to use a Two Gear drive and areverse-rotation camshaft.

AIR, he said the three and four gear drives have design deficiencies (in his opinion).

That said, I believe I will wait for our resident guru - Grumpyvette - expound on his setup and insights further.....I LOVE gaining knowledge from people recognized (rightfully) as authorities.

:)

Brad