HybridZ

SUB FRAME

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, Here I sit with my 1973 240Z. The car is RUST FREE. It took me eight years of hunting but I did find my rust free Z. I am going with a non nissan driveline. The plan was a corvette TPI motor but that went south.

What I am looking at is doing this car much like a street rod project. I know I will not be happy with the 70s stuff under this car and am looking to make a total rolling sub frame. I have the parts picked out. Jag IRS rear end with a new mustang 2 style front IFS. This takes care of my brakes on all four along with the suspension and rear end. Now I need to make the frame. I plan on cutting out the front frame rails and the rear spare tire hole. The fuel tank I will deal with later. I am wondering if anyone here has done anything close with a rolling frame. I am in no big rush here. I am taking my time. I have about a year in on the rolling SHELL now and sit at a dead end for the sub frame. I cant help but feel it will be worth the time and money spent on this. Then when it comes time for a HP upgrade it will take little work other then the drive line change out without the worry of will the car take it. ANYONE????

No reason why you couldn't do what you are saying, given enough time and $$$. Guess I would have to ask why you would want to.

Last time I checked the Mustang II was a 1970 vintage automobile with the front end design older than that. The Jag rear would be cool, but hard to see what the advantage woud be over a hot rodded 280 rear. Both of those things are excellent upgrades for a 20's vintage car with kingpins and mechanical brakes. But for a 280 with a very good suspension design and tons of upgrade parts available, it just seems like a LOT of work and you end up with a car that maybe doesn't handle as well as the one you started out with.

But if that is what you want, pump mustang 2 and jag rear end into the search engine, because I know both of those topics have come up before. And subframes are being discussed in a current thread.

Better yet, there are two other sites you should look at. One guy built a custom frame loaded with vette parts and is grafting a Z body on it. He was posting regular updates on his progress. I would post a link but all of my bookmarks got killed in the site rehosting. There is a second guy who built an entire tube chassis for his Z. Absolutely awesome. Try a search and see if you can find them.

Guest Anonymous

On the mustang front end. http://heidts.com/heip18.htm Now thats just the style name. With the jag rear end Whttp://heidts.com/heiirs.htm the jag rearend I will keep the IRS and get a cool trick look with the rotors tucked up. I have found these things at a much better price then here. For hurting the how the car will handle. No chance. A guy that I work with did this set-up on his cobra kit. Its better then my porsche 944 was in the turns and stops on a dime. Thats how I became hooked on doing this. With this I also get to use GM parts that can be had within a day vs parts hunting for import parts.

check out Hunter Kit Cars at http://www.hunterkitcars.com he builds cobra kit cars with C4 suspension and would be wiling to make a custom set up for you. I may be using him for my conversion to C4 suspension (front & rear). I'm waiting till after the Reynold's event to pull mine off the road for a few months to do the work. I'll post my progress on my picture trail link

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view

hope I could help, Rick

Guest Anonymous

How many Z's have you driven? I dont feel there is a need

for Mustang 2 IFS, the nissan front suspension is a wonder.

could use some stiffer springs, but its good to go, u can order

camber adjustable links for it for cheap as well if this is a

factor, just my .02

Dan