HybridZ

e88 heads on a 280zx block???

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

Would this be a straight swap? I have a good head off my 240z engine -- which I pulled for a v8 swap -- and a friend with a bad valve in his 280zx motor, which is set up to run triple webers. Could we pop off his bad head, bolt on mine, install the webbers and go? Maybe double up on the head gaskets to reduce compression?

Seat inserts in the aluminum head SHOULD be hardened already, but not a real issue with reasonably light springs that L series use. The N42 is more desireable for its larger valves, but the E88 will be fine. Actually, I think the 2.6L E88 had the larger valves... I have an E88 on my L28 that has had the larger valves installed. This will be a fine No money swap, and if he has a flat top short block, a significant performance improvement even with the smaller valves from the added compression.

It's not the valve spring strength that's the big problem with brass seats as in the E88 head, it's that they are for use with leaded gas which has lubricating properties vs unleaded which does not. You need hardened seats as in post-'74 heads (N42, N47, P79, P90).

Since you need to replace seats anyway, you could have L28 seats put in the E88 head and use the larger L28 valves to upgrade the valve size too. However, be aware that 280ZX valves (P79, P90) are shorter than 280Z valves so don't plan on swapping out those from that P79 you have.

I think you'd be better off in the long run if you found an N42/N47 to put on your 280ZX.

There is a way to shave and shim your P79 by 0.080" to increase compression, but it requires the transplant of a set of 280Z valves which are longer than the 280ZX valves. DAW

It's not the valve spring strength that's the big problem with brass seats as in the E88 head' date=' it's that they are for use with leaded gas which has lubricating properties vs unleaded which does not. You need hardened seats as in post-'74 heads (N42, N47, P79, P90).

Since you need to replace seats anyway, you could have L28 seats put in the E88 head and use the larger L28 valves to upgrade the valve size too. However, be aware that 280ZX valves (P79, P90) are shorter than 280Z valves so don't plan on swapping out those from that P79 you have.

I think you'd be better off in the long run if you found an N42/N47 to put on your 280ZX.

There is a way to shave and shim your P79 by 0.080" to increase compression, but it requires the transplant of a set of 280Z valves which are longer than the 280ZX valves. DAW[/quote']

i agree with DAW 100%

N42 head is a way better choice from the start here's why.

1. its newer

2. already setup for unleaded gas

3. has larger valves

its drawbacks are larger combustion chambers but you can always mill the head to net whatever c/r you want in relation to your piston.

oh yeah...and FI can come with it too =)