HybridZ

who wats a huge intercooler?

warrenp

hey, i just bought a welder. now i can finally weld 1/4 steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.

i have seen some people on ebay selling intercoolers that have been welded together. is this a good idea? i can get all kinds of intercoolers. mostly volvo ones and saab. i do how ever have a cupple for t-bired super coop ones. and some misc. ones

i just want some feed back to see if this worth doing. i hoping by doing this may save you guys some $$$$ so you will not have to buy the big aftermatket ones. they can cost $$$$

just want some feed :?::rockon: back to see if this worth doing

Guest JAMIE T

Unless you just picked up a TIG welder, or a MIG welder with a spool gun, you will pay hell welding aluminum. I weld aluminum everyday using a Millermatic 250 and a spool gun, and a Syncrowave 351(a huge TIG). Even if you can get the soft aluminum wire to feed through a regular MIG liner, remember to use Argaon gas. I am going to build my own IC using a nice Garrett core. I weld brackets on IC's around here for a couple of shops.

I was going to say, welding aluminum requires a nice TIG or cutting torch welder, to do it "right." I know people who wont use a MIG to do stainless either, only TIG or again the gas setup.

I've got a MIG also, but its actually gasless so not a true MIG without the conversion, so I do simple mild steel only. I'd love a torch though, but then tanks and fuel supply can become a problem. Some places will only give you gas if you lease a tank, etc, and TIG is $$$ so I dont know what I'll do in the future, but I wish I could do alum.

i wish i could get starion IC's

there is a bunch of starions and conquest tsi's in the junk yard but all the ic's are gone. everything else is there.

oh i can also get ford probe intercoolers too!! they look like they could make a good intercooler.

i have one eagle talon IC i would love to weld to an other. it's like 4 inches thick!! but all those in the junk yard are gone as well.

i working on gittin some NPR and GMC intercoolers. i drive a GMC it's the same as a NPR. the intercooler isn't really any bigger than a volvo one just wider. considering you can buy 2 volvo IC's from ebay for half as much as 1 NPR. i bet those would work good welded together.

Guest JAMIE T

The Volvo coolers have plastic tanks. What would you be welding together? Would you make new tanks? I would try welding some scrap aluminum before trying to weld an IC. Welding aluminum is a not easy. Well, easy to screw up. The thinest thing I can weld with my MIG is 1/8". I can weld under 16 gauge with the TIG.

yes thats about what i was thinking was to make new tanks.

cuz some of the saab ones are plastic too.

it didn't take me lone to get the hang of welding steel.

so i'm hoping aluminum isn't alot harder. i have plenty to practice on.

i'm gonna try welding some that already have alminum ends befor i start making them.