HybridZ

Rear end ID

Z-TARD

Can anyone tell me what kind of rear end this is? I think its an R-230, but I've read that the car I pulled it from (infiniti J-30) came with R-200's. I've noticed that it looks identicle to TIM240Z's R-230 with the exception of the output flanges having 5 bolts instead of 6.

20201683.jpg

20201641.jpg

I pulled it from a 92 Infiniti J-30, for a whopping $54.00. I've noticed also that many 240SX's have the same rear end as well. Could it be a lighter duty version of the R-230 from the Q-45? Or maybe just an updated version of the R-200..... It caught my eye initially due to the pretty little orange sticker on the side that says "VLSD". I pulled the CV halfshafts as well, and intend to cut and weld them in half and section them into some 280 Z halfshafts to run with either 300ZX (5 lug), or 280Z stubs drilled for 5 lugs.

The spline count is the same as the old style R-200. The shafts are just diffrent lengths from the old style R-200, same as the S32 a VLSD. I have one VLSD carrier of that style sitting in my old style 83 zxt R-200 right now. I just need to do a little work to get working I think problem is my car needs a lot more so I can test it.

Don

I'd be interested in those pics too. I'd love to swap the carrier into an older R-200, would save me a lot of fabricating and headaches. I think the ratio on this one is about 3.90 (estimating), I'd like to use the 3.54 out of the older cars if possible so I can get better fuel mileage.

• 2 weeks later...