HybridZ

tranny and radiator cooler or just cooler?????

z ya

I have the camaro radiator and a 3/4" x 13x10 Summit tranny cooler. The cooler is mounted in front on the radiator and I am using the Tarus fan. I just switched to a 3000 stall and was wondering if I should go through the rediator this time?? My motor runs between 185 and 195. It seems that my tranny might run cooler if I just use the cooler cause it wont be at 185 or 195 all the time. Also seems like my motor may get a break as well. Plenty of air gets pulled through the cooler since its mounted on the front of the rediator. What do you guys think?? I am running just a cooler on my jeep with a TH400 with a dedicated on it and it has been fine for 3 years???

it depends, really. do you have a temp gauge for your tranny?

a lot of the tranny builders recommend the tranny cooler lines be run through the radiator to bring the temperature of your tranny down closer to what the engine is running at. normal operating temps of an automatic tranny tend to be in the ballpark of 200 degrees, but can be as high as 350+ degrees. but, think about that for a moment. if your tranny is running hotter and your engine, you may actually raise the temperature of the coolant in your engine. and, on the same note, if your engine is running hotter than you tranny, you could be raising the temp of your tranny fluid.

i've always used a separate stand alone cooler for the auto tranny in any car i've had (other than something that was bonestock). i use the b&m cooler and have it mounted in front of my radiator. that's always been good enough for me, as i've never had any problems. and with that taurus fan pulling air through the cooler and the radiator, you should be fine. since you are running at 185 degrees, i'd say you have no cooling problems. it may or may not make a difference to you. it would be nice to have a gauge and try both ways. i'll stick with the stand alone tranny cooler for mine. also, using synthetic atf will lower your tranny temp a few degrees.

I also had planned to use just a trans cooler in front of the radiator. I agree with all the theroies in the former post. I bought a performance 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives. The guys at Bowtie Overdrives swear that your trans will run cooler using the cooler in the radiator. They recommend an extra cooler for some applications, but never recommend by-passing the cooler in the radiator. These guys warranty their trannies for one year with unlimted milage. Anyway check out thier site, shoot a

e mail and ask them about trans coolers.

http://www.700r4.com

yeah, bowtie is really big on that. i just got my stage 3 2004r from bowtie overdrives today. i was reading in their manual about running the lines through the radiator. and that it should be running at 150 degrees.... interesting. i'm getting a tranny gauge for mine. my griffin radiator does not have provisions for auto tranny cooler lines. so, i guess i'll have to prove that my b&m cooler is sufficient with the taurus fans sucking air through it. there was a clause in their manual for proving. seems you have to prove a lot to get the warrantee. but, that's cool.

z ya, which order did you run the cooling: tranny to rad to cooler or tranny to cooler to radiator? i have heard and read that the order is important. i dont know which is the recommended, though, right off hand.

zfreak, which stage tranny did you get? have you driven with it in yet? how was the installation and setup?

Nullbound,

I also purchased the the stage three and have not yet driven my car or finished the set up of the trans. The installation went great. My car is at a local body shop getting the paint finished so Im going to have wait to test my trans.

I live about an hour away from Bowtie Overdrives so I picked up my trans at their shop. I was really impressed with the testing they do to each of their trans.

Which converted did you decide to go with? I purchased the 2200 rpm stall.

They recommend going from Tranny to radiator to cooler from what I understand. They say to do this so that you bring the tranny up to proper

op temp. I figure with the rad cooler/tranny cooler combo I should be ok as far as heat goes. the big Tarus helps as well.

cool, good info guys. and that's really cool that you got to see the facilities, zfreak.

my car is also getting new paint. i hope to get it back in the next few weeks. then, i'll be doing the installation according to the manual. looks pretty straightforward. i've never done the tv cable pressure testing, but they have really good instructions for that.

i didnt buy one of their converters when i bought the tranny from bowtie overdrives. i already have a b&m holeshot 2400. and i'm still contemplating on whether i should get a 3000 stall and save this 2400 for my other z.