HybridZ

Had to listen the BIGGEST RICER BS story today!!!!!!

80LS1T

Ok I am in a Beat the Heat program at Fox Valley Tech and we are building up a 1986 Trans Am with the following... Big Block 454,.030+,complete roller valve train, 11:1 CR, full length headers,bigger vlaves,+700 lift cam...ladder bar suspension with 4.11:1 rear end,26" tires,full roll cage and a built up Turbo 350 Tranny! The engine will put out about 650-750HP! So we are going to be running 10's for sure. We can only run a 10.00 on Beat the Heat nights though because of insurance reasons, however on a regular night at the track we can run as fast as we can an use full racing slicks on the car! Anyways....

Here's the story...

So we were sitting there talking about how we were going to build up this Turbo 350 and this guy name Brian Smith comes over by us. He is a 40 year old Honda CRX drive'n, mr. know-it-all! Nobody can stand him because all he does is bench race. Well he started in with he BS tonight that's for sure! He said he was going to smoke our car with his little CRX and thats when we started to rip him a new one! I asked him how he planned on doing that? He said with a, now I hope you have your boots on right now, 500-700HP(depending on how much boost he runs) 1.6Liter honda motor using 21 lbs of boost! I dont know much about turbos but I wouldnt think that 21 lbs of boost on a 1.6 liter would put out that much HP?! We then procceded to ask he how he planned on keeping that motor together..."well you see I am going to use all forged parts, cross drill the block, post the cylinders, blah blah blah, yada yada yada! Basically he as just talking a lotta smack! Then we asked him why speed thousands and thousand of dollars on a crappy 1.6L for "500-700HP"(<----yeah right!) when you gan get that from a big block easy? "well I really like the challenge, blah blah blah, yada yada yada" All this guy ever does is bench race. Last time he was at the track with this CRX he ran like a 14.8. So he now he is just bragging up this POS honda crap that he doesn't even have! I really hate guys like him. I then asked him when this was all going to happen and he said "well all I really have to buy is the rods and pistons." So I said we'll see it at the track then? And he said "well it might be ready this year but I don't know for sure" Yeah that figures! I can talk smack too but I dont because all it does is make you look like an ASS when you can back it up! That's why I don't talk about my car much, it's not done so I got nothin to back up all the smack!!!

Sorry had to vent!!!!!!!

Guy :D

You sure his name wasn't John? I know a guy just like that. He is like 30 something and drives an 80s VW. He thinks he can beat my Probe GT in his POS. I laugh at the thought. He spent almost a grand on some head work and it runs worse than before...he keeps saying...wait'll get my NOS. Bring your NOS, I tell him. I haven't seen him for awhile. He is a bigtime bench/mag racer.

All I have to buy is the rods and the pistons? Right, a stock crank will suck up 700 HP and beg for more...

With a good set of 15º SBC heads converted to reverse cooled, and a stock ported LT1 intake, there is a guy with a 242/248 hydraulic roller cam putting out around 650 HP @ 6600 RPM. Hows that for some modern day engine whup ass! Would not require as much fancy work for an LS1 though :(

I went to college with one that killed me on almost a daily basis. At the time I drove a 1969 mustang. It was a pretty good road warrior. 4.11 rear, 351W, home port and pollish on 69 heads, 280 lumpy cam, headers, stealth intake and a holley 750 Vac secondary. This guy claimed to have been an engine builder and back up driver for a top fuel drag team :roll: before he decided to give that up and come back to school. He always talked smack about my car and how that he wouldn't build a street car because anything seems slow compared to some of the cars he had raced (he drove a civic). Anyway, I found out (much to my surprise :roll: ) that he was just a poser and full of :!: The problem was, he had everyone else snowed!

One day he tried to sell me an old single plane intake for my mustang (was saying that it would really pick it up! ) He brought it into our mechanical design class to lecture on the finer points of atomization. The second I saw the thing I asked him how I was going to use a 302 intake on my windsor. He smiled smugly and informed the class that all SBF are windsor engines and they were all interchangeable. I told him that yes the 289 and the 302 are considered windsor engines but they have different deck heights and therefor the 351 takes a wider intake. At this point the "teacher" (who contraced work for comp cams) interupted and said that almost all SBF parts would interchange and I was wrong...

All I could do is shake my head... :evil:

Thats a UT education for you...

• 2 weeks later...

To funny! Now for the other side of this coin! I am just getting into this hobby after a friend gives me his 83 280zx. The most mechanical work I've ever done on car is general tuneups and replacing oil sensors and such. Anyway, my bud gives me his car so I start looking at restoring and doing my research I find this and a few other boards. Now Im thinking I'll just rebuild this puppy to be a 400+hp sleeper. So Im buying books and learning whats what on an engine asking questions and such, I've got tons to learn! right, no problem It will take a few years but were not talking quantium physics here :wink:

Anyway my father inlaw is an old time shade tree chevy spoutin carberator know it all! and he has been just laying into me for wanting to rebuild the damn jap scrap car with its POS toy engine and push it to its limits. He thinks Im stupid for dumping all this money in a 6 cylindar engine, he's offered to give me a chevy small block v8 to put in the car, but only if I do a carberator cause he doesn't understand fuel injection or the computers that run them. All his ranting is doing is giving me the drive to sink what ever its going to cost to build someting thats going to shut him up.

So the garage door stays shut, Im learning to do my own work! There will be a few things that I will have a professional shop do so I know its done right! and keep my mouth shut and keep reading, learning and listening to you guys!

Heh, I remember wqhen guys used ot give me grief for running EFI on my '88 LX. They all told me to go carb to go faster. How many of them are running EFI now :) Funny as hell to see them all come around to what I knew from the very start. Most of them STILL do not understand how it works though and do some pretty stupid stuff - I just shake my head...

Guest Your Car is Slow

too funny...nice to see the same crap happens all over the country :)

Some guys on our message board that work overnights use AOL chat rooms to find these morons for entertainment.

The rice is so bad here in jax...someone started a website dedicated to photographing these pitiful excuses for cars.

http://www.jaxrice.com

Guest Anonymous

is that the rice cop website? I swear i've voted atleast 100 cars on that site as rice, kinda said you'd think people would sooner or later relize whats cool and whats not and just plain stop :weird:

Guest ON3GO

Your Car Is Slow-------

you live in Jax's?

have u ever seen a civic hatch (it could be a CRX not sure), its yellow, it has a twin turbo NSX motor in it (in the back, and its rwd?

i went to the street races there not to long ago and that bastard was wooping ass all over the place there...killed like 4 or 5 vipers with spray and major work done.

ever seen it? nobody beleives me about that car where i love... it was the only honda i liked.

but about this thread...

come to my town.... Im big into street racing and im always out at the local hang outs where we race, and talk cars...well ppl here think a gutted hatch with a B16 with bolt ons is fast.. "aww i can run 12's in my civic, all i gotta do is a SWAAAAPPPP" they when i say sure on slicks, they say "ya so" then i say "how is that a street car? you gonna drive down to the mall in your hatch with full hugh slicks up front and skinnies in the back" they scratch there head and walk away..

the best ever was when some kid in town spent like 3k on a supercharger on his SI, and i was the 1st to go in a ride with it..well he still had the stock clutch in it, and when it started to slip and when his RPM's when up he thought it was awesome and thought it was so fast.....still the car didnt go anywhere.. i think we got pasted by a mini-van.

i hate ricers.

mike

Guest Your Car is Slow

Nah..its not ricecop...but very simlar...this is just cars around our hometown of jax (there are nearly 100 now). The best part is the feedback forum where we get emails from the owners....its classic :)

as for the nsx powered crx......Eh....Ive been around the street scene for quite some time here in jax...and I can tell you this car does not exist (at least not how you describe it)

First off I dont believe there is a twin turbo kit for an NSX motor....second I dont see it dropping in a civic or a crx (but anything is possible I suppose). I know a good many of the viper guys around here....they dont do alot of street racing (much less 4 or 5 at a time)....so things dont quite add up.

The fastest crx around this town (that comes out to the street races) runs mid to low 12s (was corrected..its a turbo CRV motor instead) and is owned by a guy named jimbo. This is not to say there arent faster imports around (I personally know of a 850hp single turbo supra in town) but they rarely if ever make it out to the street scene.

I (like everyone else Im sure) have heard wild tales about all these insanely fast 8/9/10 sec imports that supposedly dominate anything they come across....however ive never actually heard of someone telling a first hand story...its usually "well my buddy said..or I heard from a friend that" kinda stories.

Ill believe it when I see it.....until then..the only fast imports like that around here are bikes :)

Guest ON3GO

well ive seen it.... i as wondering if u had.

the kid was pretty young, asian.

i think it was a CRX.

the turbo kit was custom i know that.

i remember watching him smoke this viper, when the guy came back the viper owner was cool and all, but he walked right up to the honda kid, and said "you have to open up your hood, i run a 10.3" it was funny as hell. the kid opened his hood and there was nothing there.. you had to see the viper owners face.. the kid smiled and walked to the back of his car and there sat the motor..

i was like "whoaaaa"

deff a cool car, all custom.

i cant remember if he said he and his dad built it or his dad's shop did.

mike

Guest Your Car is Slow

There are also no 10sec vipers in town that make it to the street races...in fact...ive never seen a viper at ALL ever come out to play.

Where did this take place?

I just dont buy it man...if this car did exist..the Ricer crowd would use it as their mascot..bringing it up at every opportunity in the face fo the domestic crowd....and with the guys that work at nearly every local performance shop mostly at the street races...noones ever heard or mentioned it.

Guest ON3GO

i dunno if the viper was from around there or not.

i dont really no the area of there, but i think the name of the place was orange park? something orannge.

my friend went to UNF and we went down there to see the scene... i thought it was as big or bigger then the Tampa scene at Gandy.

im not trying to start shit, im just telling what i saw... i have no clue if the kid with the crx was from around there either....

mike

Guest Your Car is Slow

Yea....was told it was owned by a guy named stephen papadakis and its a civic.

However he doesnt live anywhere near jax..nor has he ever come to town.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Damn Cracker

This thread reminds me of a punk I used to know at my high school. His name was chris and he was one of the biggest dumbasses Ive ever known. His brother was a few years older than him, and He had an early 90's civic, all riced out. Chris would always brag about how fast his bro's car was gonna run, after he got his turbo set up, blah blah blah. That is until the stupid ass over revved his motor while racing on the freeway, and toasted it. Soon after that, chris got kicked out of school, and bought hisself and 88 civic hatchback. Stylin, huh?, well, a few months ago, I heard ol' Chris was street racing another idiot, and smashed into a tree after flying off the road on a turn.

Guest livewire23

I heard a similar story around here about a CRX with a SBC in it. he had the regular (b16?) in the front, and he'd race for cash. tinted windows. you can imagine what happened. some people lost some cash. I heard this out in the santa cruz area.