HybridZ

Caddy 500 + T-56 = Whoaa baby

Guest Tht1KSguy

drahgonking, glad to have you aboard. We'd love to hear more about your swap, and don't worry, nobody gets their feelings hurt here, we're always open to any technical conversation. I've always been a huge fan of the big block caddy's and I, along with everybody on this site, would love to see some pics of your setup :cheers:

For the rear end, directly from Jeffp's website:

"The Quaife unit is the best solution to the upgrade. I bought mine at a cost of 1195.00 and they have a life time quarentee, with an unlimited horse power rating even under race conditions. That sounded good to me, I have some assurance with this unit I can have it replaced or serviced."

That would probably handle the power and allow you to keep IRS.

I like the Cad 500. I once owned a 472 that would just about pick up the front end of a 1968 Coupe DeVille.

Are you sure you want a T-56 behind one? I have visions of that little car accelerating so quickly that you would be skipping gears, especially 1st gear. With that much torque (stock 500 puts out 550 ftlbs. near 3,000 rpms) you may not be able to even use 1st gear.

My suggestion would be a TH400 with a low numberical (3.08ish) gear. That much torque will pull 2,500 pounds down the street pretty dang quick with a 3.08, and you might get decent fuel mileage on the highway. Or go with 4L80E if you want an overdrive. An automatic, definitely will work better in my opinion with any big block light-weight.

Just my .02, but I'm really interested to see how things turn out if you go with a T-56! Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest Anonymous
I like the Cad 500. I once owned a 472 that would just about pick up the front end of a 1968 Coupe DeVille.

Are you sure you want a T-56 behind one? I have visions of that little car accelerating so quickly that you would be skipping gears' date=' especially 1st gear. With that much torque (stock 500 puts out 550 ftlbs. near 3,000 rpms) you may not be able to even use 1st gear.

My suggestion would be a TH400 with a low numberical (3.08ish) gear. That much torque will pull 2,500 pounds down the street pretty dang quick with a 3.08, and you might get decent fuel mileage on the highway. Or go with 4L80E if you want an overdrive. An automatic, definitely will work better in my opinion with any big block light-weight.

Just my .02, but I'm really interested to see how things turn out if you go with a T-56! Good luck and keep us posted![/quote']

I used to have a 68 Coup DeVille also! Wish i wouldn't of sold that car :( Oh well, This is starting to sound pretty tasty. Looks Like i better start shopping for 500's

Guest Blazer406

We need an update...... it has been months.... I am anxious to see the outcome... and pics. I think the thing ought to be a handfull on the street with all that torque. In 1970 the 500 CI caddy made 400 hp (flywheel gross) and 550 ft lb of torque....... that is smack in the middle of todays super light truck diesels! I would love to see one of these torque monsters mated to a T56 and use a performer intake with a Holley Commander 950 TBI setup. It ought to get good mileage too.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have been following this post wondering if there is any way to mathematically calculate overkill. I dont think there is any way that you are going to be able to put all that torque to the ground and not be guaranteed to bust something. Will a T-56 even be able to handle that? Have you considered making a protected drivetrain tunnel to protect you and your passenger from exploding drivetrain parts?

Why is it that you chose this engine? Do you intend to pull a trailer? Is it the deal that you got on the engine? As always, I am just curious as to why people choose the engine that they choose. I do understand the emphasis of torque, but when you get to the point where you are putting out so much torque at a low RPM you are digging into your HP and actually making the car slower. That, coupled with the inability to get traction will probably get you further from the speed that you are probably looking for. A high-torque, low rpm engine just doesnt make sense for any kind of racing. (Except tractor pulls, and moving heavy beasts)

BTW, as far as gas mileage, gas mileage is a factor of the weight of the car, the frontal area of the car, the load on the engine, and the brake-specific fuel consumption(BSFC) of the engine at the given RPM. Typically the peak of the torque curve will be where your best fuel efficiency is. Depending on the (BSFC) of that engine, you actually should get quite good mileage if it is geared right.

Im putting one in a 67 firebird with a th400. The reason is simple i have a 3.00 9" rearend and would never use a lower gear on the street. Low end torque = good 1/4 miles with stock gearing even if the car is heavy. 2 With a 3.00 rearend there is no need for a high dollar 4L80E (The only overdrive transmission stong enough in my opinion) 3 It idles like a unmodified smallblock even then modified to 500 hp. 4 The weight is close to a smallblock. Offset grind the crank to chrysler 440/426 rods and you have a 529 chevy rods = 540. 5 A 3200 pound 86 mustang with 225 hp n2o mt15 cam big valves 8.5:1 compression and performer intake has run 10.30 on a 27 year old bottom end (10.45 with 3.08 rear) 6. low rpm = long life.

• 1 month later...

Ive got a 72 Buick 455 in the garage with an edelbrock intake. I am looking for a Z to do a small block swap, only because I wasnt sure if the Buick would fit. This thread REALLY made my day. The search is on for the car now. I am definately going for it.

ANY informative websites you can pass on would be great.

My only concern is the fact that this car is going to be on an extreme budget with me doing all the work myself. The mechanical and body side doesnt bother me. But I have no experience fabbing a cage. I have VERY minimal experience with a welder. I know I can pick it up once I get going though.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

The Buick 455 is only an inch wider, an inch taller, and 40lbs heavier than a SBC. I know someone with an Olds 350 in his 280Z, and he previously had an Olds 455 in it. The 455 is now in my possesion and is either going in my 240Z or in one of my RX7's.