HybridZ

110v AC -> 12v DC?

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

I want to buy or build a rectifier setup so I can have a constant 12vDC power source in my garage (wired with 110vAC) while wiring up my z and experimenting with power window and wiper swaps I want to try. I know several of you here are EEs...any advice or a good site that would tell me how and with what? I want to do it cheap of course, but it would still need to handle 5 amps or more I suppose.

Thanks!

---I just realized even cheapo computer power supplies output 12vDC @ 5 amps or more...is that likely to be enough to operate a wiper motor or power window motor?

I'm not an EE but I'll try an answer here until they do reply. A 5A rectifier sounds a bit small (60watt) but I've not ever metered the current drawn by various devices on a car other than lighting. I've built such recifiers for garage use, but without spending a lot of time and money on creating a smooth (fairly smooth anyway) wave rectifier, you can get away with a typical Radio Shack transformer, and bridge retifier. But I've found out that many garage sales have battery charges that go for cheap money, and this was the way I eventually went. I did not get the same satisfaction that one gets when building his own, but is sure was less time consuming and I ended up paying less than it would have cost for the components to build one.

Guest bluex_v1

Geez, that was quick :D I don't think I got my edit in there in time for you guys to see.

I'm sure I have a good spare ATX computer power supply somewhere...12vdc@5.5 I think.

Aren't power windows usually routed through the fuse box along with several other accessories? If you are able to run 2 or 4 power window motors all at the same time and whatever else might be on that fuse, then they probably would be less that 5 amps right?

I will keep my eyes peeled for the battery chargers for sure...thanks for the advice!