HybridZ

2.3 Turbo motor into Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just letting you guys know I MAYBE thinking of putting a 2.3Turbo Motor out of a 87-88 T-Bird TurboCoupe. I'm in the process of "building" the motor now actually it's now a 2.5 with longer rods and shorter pistons. I'm unsure what kind of car I want to put it into but it's coming down to a 240Z or your everyday 87-93 Mustang Hatchback. The good news of this swap is the tranny and driveshaft is the SAME as a 5.0 out of the 87-93 Mustangs so that part of the swap has been done. The bad thing is no one has done this exact swap so I'll be doing alot of experimenting if I go through with it. I do have a welder and engine hoist so I could make my own motor mounts. I'll be running and SDS stand alone system so the electrical wont be a problem either. What other issues would I run into? How much horse can the stock 180mm rear in the 240Z handle? How much can the 200mm handle? One last question... Anyone know of a 240, 260 or 280Z for sale in or around Connecticut? I'm sure I'll have lots more questions but this shall do for now.

Guest 240hybrid

If the choices are down to a mustang and the early Z's, Id go for a 240...being the lightest one of the bunch that 2.3 doesnt have as much to move. Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

I don't think I'd mess with the 2.3L in anything bigger than a Roadster. It's got a flaw in the intake that restricts flow doesn't it? You have to buy an aftermarket head that straightens out the intake runner around the vavle guide boss. I put one in a Roadster back in the 80s and it was a good match.