HybridZ

still a little foggy on the Z31 comp. swap into the 280ZXT

pallnet

this is what i have going on. right now, i have collected almost everything i think i will need. tomorrow i get the rest......

i'm running a high compression motor in my 76 Z with SU's. i want to dump the SU's and install FI but, not the 280Z FI. i have a whole 1983 ZXT

and i have access to a whole 1987 ZX. i have plans of pulling the 87 ZX's engine harness and sensors tomorrow morning. i already have the ECU and MAF. i already have all the hardware to do the swap. i'm just a little foggy on what wires needed to make hooking up to my car and stuff like that. my friend is bringing the 1983 ZXT wire diagram to my house tomorrow but, that still leaves me not knowing what's going on with the 300ZX wireing. i'm not sure if it's a better idea to use the 280ZXT harness and the 300 ECU and MAF or use the 300ZX harness, ECU and MAF. either way it goes, i would like to run this thing cause of the benefits of the ECU and MAF. my engine pulls like a mule on drugs and it gives out at high RPM's cause of the SU's..i'm on vacation this week and this will probably be a good project for me, thanks in advance. pallnet

http://groups.msn.com/monkeysphotos/shoebox.msnw

Use the Z31 everything, including the harness. The wiring is not difficult, but take your time and be sure of what you are doing. I am thinking you will have to rewire the fuel pump, and connect the main harness to your EFI relays and give it the ignition and start signals from the ignition switch. Also use the Z31 ignition - I am using it with my Z31 setup and I'm quite happy with it. Be sure to use 280ZXT fuel injectors (they flow the same as Z31s but will bolt into the stock fuel rail), unless you can fit the Z31s.

i have MSD6al on my car right now and would like to keep it. does the FI need anything for the ignition side of the EFI? if not, i can just run the MSD off the signal produced from the inner ring of the relucter wheel, right?

i'm sure that it will workout just fine, i like to cover all the bases before i get into a project.

are you running the 300 harness also?, sleeperZ?

thanks.. pallnet

I've alsways run the stock ignitions, but if your distributor is running the MSD OK, no reason to change it, the Z31 ECU shouldn't have a problem. The ECU does have a wire run to the negative of the coil to sense the ignition signal - if it is missing it will give you an error code (don't know if it affects performance though). It probably doesn't, because there are several people using Z31 ECUs with unmodified 280ZXT harnesses, and that connection is not made. I modified my 280ZXT harness will all the Z31 sensor hookups, just because I didn't know at the time what needed to be wired. I didn't go with a Z31 harness, because it will locate the ECU on the passenger side.

well, i got the harness and all but the O2 sensor. it looks like i will be busy for a little while. tomorrow i will be going to the speed shop to get a bong to weld to my header for the O2. if i have time i will goto a few yards to see if i can find a O2 or a few as spares. looks like this harness has had the recall done to it. the injectors were the recall type.

does anyone have info on what all was done in those recalls and how to put it all back the way it was. i have injectors from another car that didn't have the recall done to it. the car i pulled the stuff from was an automatic.

i will not be useing the stock ingnition, i will be useing my MSD. will the fact of the parts beign from a automatic have any affect on the way it performs? thanks.. pallnet