HybridZ

Anyone seen the Motorsport Auto Aluminum oilpan?

Guest timn

Guest MistressMotorsports

I put one of these on my vintage racer. It's quite a bit heavier than the Motorsports baffled steel pan, but has very similar baffles and should work as well from an oil control standpoint. I did find that the casting was flat at the mounting surface and pretty well done, but the assembly workmanship left something to be desired. There were some metal shavings left dangling in some of the screw holes for the baffles, and one of the screws that holds the baffles in was cross threaded. About an hour of careful disassembly, inspection, and reassembly yielded a perfect part. The only real downside is that the drain plug is the lowest thing on the car now, and I'm worried it will get damaged (and possibly crack the pan?) if I decide to do some agricultural racing. I'm going to move the drain plug off the bottom and/or replace it with a Allen head plug so it's recessed instead of hanging down.

Mike

Mike,

Are you planing on moving the drain plug to the back side like a stock Z pan?

Is there enough meat on the back side to install a drain plug, or will some welding have to take place?

I am going to go with this pan and had the same concern about the drain plug being on bottom.

I thought I saw the same(or very sim)at another site for $300.00, but can`t find the link.

The only real downside is that the drain plug is the lowest thing on the car now, and I'm worried it will get damaged (and possibly crack the pan?) if I decide to do some agricultural racing.
:D thats funny!

I put one of these on my 71 (BSP prepared L28 motor) and had a heck of a time with it. There were MAJOR interference issues between the oil pickup tube and the pan both with the windage tray and the pan itself....I also had to grind relieve around the baffle doors to keep them from hanging up. After a 6 hour assembly,/rework job (I did it with the engine in the car) I finally finished and have been running with it ever since......I haven't had any further problems, and it served its purpose given no more oil pressure loss on big sweepers.

In other words, do the install with the engine OUT of the car, and be prepared to do some cleanup/rework to it as well.

See you at the next all Datsun Tractor pull!! :wink:

Guest MistressMotorsports

DCarrow, I haven't figured out yet where I am going to put the plug, but it definitely is going to change. I didn't have the same interference issues as ianz did, which is interesting. Apparently, though, I was not the only one who noticed workmanship issues with the pan. So, I would suggest if you feel you can mess with the pan and don't mind spending some time to do so, this pan is a good alternative to the much more expensive Nissan pan. If you want to save a little weight adn have a ready to go part, go with the $600 pan.

Mike

Thanks for all the feedback. I called MSA yesterday and they don't have the pans in stock, so I'll have to pass for now.

I had a pan made up from a Moroso kit. It looks similar to the Nissan Motorsports pan, but not quite as pretty. I was going to go for the more flash look, but time doesn't permit it. I'll have to go for plain old function!

Thanks again everyone for your comments.