HybridZ

N42 on a turbo setup?

Mudge

Tried searching, but forgot it was broken. I have a spare N42 that is stock, and I wondered everyones thoughts about having it on a turbo car. I know this has been discussed at least a little, but I'd like to see the formalities and arguments all in one place and have them fully hashed out :)

Its got "big" valves, now what about flow potential? Since it has done quite well on NA cars I assume it would be pretty good on a turbo car as well in terms of flow, but how about the exaust side as well? What about the open vs closed chamber, in a dished piston engine?

Is there anything I might be missing? I will try to look at the head and think about this more in depth, but I'd like to try to find out, keep the N42 and work on it, or search for a P90 and work on that. I dont have a P90 to look at unfortunately.

Guest Paul Felker

from what i've heard, yes you can use a n-42 head in a turbo application. a guy i know has a low 9 second turbo z :shock: and he runs a n-42 because of it's flow carpabilities. he says that with his n-42 w/ port and polish a stock turbo bottom end he ends up w/ a comp. ratio of 8.3.1 i hope this helps you out some.

Guest Paul Felker

Hey Mudge and 280z racer, I looked around and found this guys phone number the guys name is Frank Williams phone# 1-910-273-7321. he seems like a great guy he sent me basicly what i needed and more just because ,but beware once i called him i could spend hours talking to him about different combos, he's been doing this for 16 years and he really seems to know his z's, and the best part about his 82 trubo z that runs low 9's it that it's old school, no sds no tube headers, the guys runs a 78 fuel injection with a n42 intake :shock::shock: he dosnt even use a pov!! no fancy computers or any of that outhe stuff, its all stuff you can scrounge around and find in yards and such. if that's not cool than i don't know what is. give this guy a call and tell him that Paul from WI sent you and you won't be disapointed i wasnt and im very cautious about who i send money to> Later Paul