HybridZ

I need help with my 454.

Getting ready to make my 77' into a 4X4 and I can't find the specs for my motor. The Haynes manual says that V6 and V8 engines have 150psi with a variance of 20psi to the cylinders. It isn't specific about the big block though. I know that there V6's that they use are just 350s missing two cylinders so I can see that they are the same. But I'm not sure that the 454 is. I want to check my comp. before I put in the motor. I do know that it was rebiult about 49K ago. Should be ok. could anybody could steer me to the specs for a 454?

(it's coming out of an 81' suburban 3/4 ton two wheel drive)

thanks.

Cranking compression can be misleading in many ways... Just do a compression check and make sure that all cylinders are pretty much within 10% of each other rather than worrying about a specific number. But if it is below 120 or above 180 you may have too little or too much compression. Even this is difficult since battery drain can cause the engine to turn slower at the end than beginning. Pull all of the plugs and do the check one at a time.

Go to http://www.mortec.com to find out what hard parts are on your motor. If it has ever been rebuilt, all bets are off.