HybridZ

oil mixed with water

Ivan280zt

well it looks like bad luck just keeps following me all the time. afther getting my brakes to work i was about to take my z for its first spin with turbo swap but before i took it on road i wanted to check everything out just to be sure. while car was idling i took oil filler cap off valve cover and cam lobe started throwing oil out (as it should) but when i went to whipe it off i really looked like crap. it looked like it was getting mixed with coolant but not exactlly its kinda dark... very hard to explain. this is my problem i am running 77z n42 bottom end turbo head gasket (oem) and p90 head. car runs just fine but it keeps running hot (while idling i havent driven it yet) so i took thermostat out and it seemed to help but it did just for while it still kept running hot. every time that it gets to 210 deg. i would shut car off (auto meter gauge). i know its not water pump b/c its new unit and also when i take radiator cap off i can see coolant flowing from one side to another. i am just could my head gasket (turbo one) be blocking some of the water passages so it cant cool properlly? and i tought that i might have blown ring or so (i gave it few good revs and it made like 3-4 psi of boost) but just in case i checked compression and all six of them were between 125-130 psi. so where could water be getting in and mixing with oil (if thats whats happenig)? and also its not blowing white smoke out of exhaust just little bit like the day it crancked up for the first time. if you have any ideas guys let me know.

Ivan

Hey Ivan, good seeing you this weekend!!

Anyway, there aren't too many places to turn to if there is water in the oil...it is pretty much either getting around the head gasket, or you may want to check behind the water pump in the front cover. It is possible for the cover to be cracked, or corroded through far enough that water seeps through and leaks down into the oil.

I am sorry to hear about your further problems , but hang in there. It'll be worth it when you are done.

hey guys sorry for replying so late but damn computer wouldnt let me sign on. first off all i have few things figured out. changed oil few days ago and its still clear so far so good. next thing i did leak down test and that came out perfect no pressure drop. then it came out that i was using nonturbo fuel pressure regulator so we got that switched to turbo one. this whole time i tought that car was running hot well it wasnt i was using factory sending unit with autometer gauge and they werent compatible sp. afther little trip to auto zone i got me one of those cheap water temp gauges... long story short temp. is just fine now. hey mike man i had blast at reynolds meeting you and other guys inspired me in big way and not to mention that ride that you gave me in your z my neck is still hurting but to avoid any potential lawsuit i will setlle for pair of fender mirrors :D . i cant wait until next meet just this time i am going to bring my z.

ps. i have new problem but i am going to post on troubleshouting forum.

Ivan