HybridZ

ZX rear end in a 260z?

I was working on my car in the driveway yesterday when a guy drove up and said he was into datsuns and had a bunch of zcars for parts. I did'nt really need anything except for an R200. He told me he'd sell it to me and while I was at it I could take the whole rear end out to the disc brakes. He said the whole thing would bolt right up and I'd have a stronger rear end and disc brakes in the rear no problem. Does anyone know if this would work? And if so, how much modification is involved? I was going to keep the rear brakes stock and go to an r200 anyway, but if its easy enough and a good deal I'll go for discs.

-Jon

The ZX suspension is of a different configuration than the Z. About the only thing that will be of swap value will be the R200 differential (by itself), and the brakes. The ZX used a semi-trailing arm design, which differs from the Z's type of control arm design. The later model 280ZX brakes will be easier to adapt because of the smaller offset on the rotor and the less bulky caliper. The first couple of years of the ZX had a large bulky caliper frame with rotors that used a large amount of offset. The halfshafts may (MAY) be useable in that I believe they are the same part as the Z half shafts. The turbo ZX (CV jointed) halfshafts will also be useable with some attendant modifications.

your best bet is the kit from modern motorsports. the 240sx calipers are set up slightly different and will have a larger surface area of brake pad contact. not to mention that the geometry allows you to hook up your e-brake cable with ease.