HybridZ

FRONT SUSPENSION Comments Ideas and Suggestions.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok i droped the complete front suspension so i could work on the frame rails.. To cure bordum I am working on the suspension, frames and engine bay all at once. So far the Suspension looks like crap every bushing is worn out or torn so Im gonna get a complete urthan kit for $170 or so from suspension.com and the video on how to do it from courtseynissan.com. Ok I have already taken the crossmember off the steering rack.. what a chore 30 yr old bolts n nuts. :shock: ok well all it took was a rubber hammer and a good ratchet and a little skin off my knuckles. Any ways My question is what shocks should I use I know ill need stiffer for a 350 sbc but i dont wanna spend over $300 in shocks. And i dont care that much about adjustability. Also should i just wait to do the shocks until later? or would it be harder with the whole rack back on the car. The money i spend on them will slow down my frame work. Also Springs? is stock enough they seem ok not to worn looking but is it necessary to replace them. Im gonna make it a daily driver and weekend road warrior/hopefully.

Any ideas or suggestions help please.

PS>> i found more info by searching zcar.com

than i did at hybrid.org So please dont tell me to use the search button.

PS>> i found more info by searching zcar.com

than i did at hybrid.org So please dont tell me to use the search button.

Doahh. Take you out and beat you.

I used KYB struts and MSA Euro springs on my CA daily driver for years. Not sure what the price is but it is probably about as cheap as anything else. I would replace the 30 year old springs. The Euro springs were suppose to lower the car about a half inch (fine for a street machine), but ended up raising it since the old springs were so shot.

It would be easier to replace the struts and springs while you have the front end disassembled, but it is not that big of a deal either way. The real PITA for me would be disconnecting the brake lines and possibly tie rod ends to gain acess to the strut tubes. Don't wanna stress those rubber parts any more than you have to.

Also do struts and springs on all 4 corners at the same time. Could be a safety issue if you do just the fronts.

Guest greimann

Hey Mr. Jebz240

I don't have any specifics on your question, but a hint on a more productive search. Unlike Zcar.com, HybridZ has many different forums where topics are posted. Look in the suspension forum and see if there is any info there for you. Typically questions like this are posted there.

Guest zbot43

Ok, I have a 350 in my Z...with the original set up I had a two inch drop in the suspension with the 6 cyl. When I put the v8 in I had a bottoming suspension. Not wanting to change the ride height, I saw where someone had taken a VW rabbit front strut, which is two inches shorter than the o.e. struts and used those. You cut the strut housing down by two inches and weld it back together. This is much easier than I thought it would be. I used a pipe cutter and cut a two section out. I then did the same thing in the rear of the car, but used the struts for the front of a z in the rear. You get a good ride, lowered suspenision, and no problems. I have had absolutely no problems at all with the set up. If you don't do something like this and lower the car at all I think it will bottom. There just isn't enough travel left by lowering it unless you shorten the strut tube. Or put really stiff springs in.

Good luck,

Marcello

Tokico Illuminas. Good adjustability and within your price range. I'm running OE springs with them. Excellent ride quality. I think with some Eibach Pro-kit springs and the shocks, you'll be set. You may want to look into some good strut bracing to help with the stiffer springs. I know I keep playing PDK up, but I think they are a must have. Check out their website here

OK - I installed the European spec springs from MSA along with the KYB struts too. I put them on a 77 280Z that had 160,000 miles on it. The Euro springs, according to MSA, are 15-17% stiffer than the US spec and are 1/4" shorter. When I installed them they RAISED my car a full inch. The ride has been excellent, however, and the height has been perfect for a daily driver as I clear speed bumps, railroad tracks, steep driveways, etc., without tearing the car up. I am leaving the same springs & struts in for my V-8 conversions - especially since it's an LS1 that won't add any front end weight. The car doesn't have the radiator or accessories in it yet and the nose is sitting 1 to 1 1/2" high at this point. Once it's done and I've driven it a bit I'll see if I need to adjust from there.