HybridZ

The Ultimate Muncie with available Overdrive!

The overdrive is still a 4 speed, they make 3rd one to one and 4th OD. The recommend it "only for people who have too much money already invested in their rear driveline to re-do it."

The more interesting component they have is a M20 wide ratio gearset with the reduced helical gear angle of the M22. Their case is really nice also.

The Borg Warner Super T10 stronger than the regular Muncie and almost as strong as the M22. It is available for $1200 with your choice of several different ratios.

FWIW, the M21 close ratio Muncie (and M22 derivative) share the distinction of the closest ratio 4 speed trasmissions ever put in a production vehicle... Just the thing for a dedicated road racer, but too close for a real street driver. The smallest rear gear GM would option the M21 with was 3.73, and that was not really sufficient.

The 2.2 first gear requires at minimum a 4.10 gear for any reasonable final drive numbers (except in 4th...) 2.2 x 3.71=8.16 1st gear effective ratio. Compare this to the 2.97 first gear of the G92 T56 and 3.42 rear gear of 10.154. And most of those guys wind up with 4.1 gears as well.

IME, the more effective gear ratio you have, the more easily you can modulate the torque output of any given combination in order to maximize traction. For instance, if you have 2.73 gears and they start to spin, forget it, you'll never get it back. But if you have 4.11, just back off the throttle until the tires hook, then get back in it. If you've ever had a reasonably fast car with no rear gear, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Mike C.

I agree that a close ratio is great for road racing but sucks on the street, but what I like are the M20 ratios you can get with this Ultra strong 4 speed. First gear is 2.59 so in a Z, being its lite, you could run a 3.54 or even a 3.36 and a fairly tall tire and not dread freeway speeds! As well as retain great off the line quickness! I need a ultra strong manual trans for what I'm building and this looks like a affordable alterative.

Mark

At that price level, why not run the Richmond 5 speed? It would be perfect, especially if someone could find more of the 3.15 R200 gearsets...

Any ideas what that ratio came in when I'm junkyarding?

Unless you are doing hard core drag racing (meaning 500+hp and 10" slicks) the Super T10 is really strong, especially in a car that only weighs 2500#. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money on a Muncie, for just a little more you can have a Jerico. Actually, they are not quite twice as much at $3295 for the NASCAR spec tranny, but the most absolutely bulletproof trans available. 2,3,4, or 5speeds. Clutch or clutchless. Oval/road race or drag race. They use superior alloys as well as caged needle bearings in the cluster and needle bearings in the tailshaft instead of a bushing. If you have to have THE ultimate in strength: (I wonder if they want to hire a salesman... :D )

http://www.jericoperformance.com/

Mike C.

I'm building a 406 Rodeck with a estimated 600+ HP and over 500+ FT lbs. of torque. A Richmond 5 speed will not handle that much power with sticky tires. And besides, 5th gear is still 1 to 1! Thats also the reason I'm tossing the IRS, that and I can't get wide rubber under it without running monster flairs. Yuck! Live axle is the only viable and affordable option I have. Yes a Jerrico would certainly be strong enough, but the gears are a "straight-cut" design and would be a PITA on the street! I want to build a Z that is both ultra quick and has adequate handling and is a pleasure to drive.

Mark

all you had to say was four speed and here i am.

stock t10s and muncies are invincible behind an sbc, especially in a small car, im living proof of that one. that M22 is beautiful. i used to have an m22 in my z, but i had a rear seal leak i didnt check up on, and lost it.

i say go with a regular t10 or m21 first, and BREAK IT FOR ME. :twisted:

The M22 is not much quieter than the straight cut gears. I still think your best bet is the Super T10. Can't wait to see it all together! The saving grace is the lightweight. Much easier on transmissions than 3500# plus cars.