HybridZ

MSD ignition problems

jzd14

i need some help, anyone's advice is appreciated:

i have a 240z with the an L28 from a 280z in it

instead of having points, i have a pertronix 'ignitor' that converts it to a magnetic pickup

i hooked up my MSD 6A over the weekend exactly like the manual said and i ended up frying my pertronix (i think it died the first time i tried to start it)

i had an extra distributor with points so i through that in, hooked it up to the MSD, and now it runs fine

i have the ignition wires (green-white and black-white) running through the ballast resistor so i don't know where the problem is

my question: what do i need to do to get the MSD to run with the pertronix

also, a couple months ago, i took my 240z tach out and replaced its "guts" with the "guts" of a 280 tach (per JTR)

it ran fine with the voltage sensing wire hooked up to the negative side of the coil

when i hooked up my MSD, i put the voltage sensing wire on the tach terminal of the MSD - now the tach doesn't work at all

what do i need to do to get the tach to work?

i had the idea that maybe i can just hook the voltage sensing wire back up to the negative side of the coil, but i'm not sure how the MSD operates to know whether that will work or possibly fry the tach

thx for taking the time to read this, your replies will be greatly appreciated

wire it up like its a points system. a pertronix system does turn you inot a pointless mag pickup, but its still wired like points. my buddy almost blew his pertronix the same way wiriing a 6al into his car. if you have an early 240z you may need a tach adapter, just wire the tach either the tach port on the box, or the wire from the box that should go directly to your tach.

• 2 weeks later...

i looked through my MSD manual and it turns out that i have an earlier edition that doesn't have the page about hooking it up to a pertronix ignitor

if anyone has this page could they please email it to me at jzd14@yahoo.com

i would greatly appreciate it, thx

also, where can i get the tach adapter that i'd need to make my tach work?

-scott