HybridZ

Mysterious running lights, headlights, oil/water guage......

fl327

the other night im driving, and for some reason or another i hear a fuse pop and all my running lights go out and dash light, "no big deal" its hapened to me before right? replace the fuse, and start to driving. i turn the heater on, and it blows it out again? ok, replace it again, dont turn on the heater. keep going. drive about 30 miles, running lights go out again

ok-replace them again, and its cool all night long.

next night, running lights decide to go out on me again, and now the oil/water guage wont read, and one of my headlights goes dim. im troubleshooting now and about to go to the yard to grab some connectors for some lights that im in suspicion of, oh, this last time the running lights went out THE FUSE DIDNT BLOW. so now where do we go from here? i dont think there is a fusible link, im looking at the switch now, im getting my butt down to the east bay quick fast to go grab a switch and misc stuff right now, i was hoping maybe one of you guys could help me shoot this one out, just give me suggestions, im almost pulling hair out on this one!

My first car was a Maverick and I had the same problem with the lights and the heater blower. The light problem was fixed by checking all the grounds and cleaning the rust off of them. I also had to replace a couple of the light sockets. The heater kept blowing fuses because the blower motor was bad and shorting out. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Oh, my friends old 66 Ford truck is doing the same thing but I think he needs to replace the fuse block in it.

Jason

Electrical problems suck! But the first thing to check are your grounds. The easiest one to get to is in the engine compartment just forward of the battery along the bottom of the fender. Clean it very well, I even went as far as adding a wire from that ground to the battery so try to give everything an extra path to go. Don't know if it helped, but cleaning it up sure did, also I believe there is a ground from you battery to the chassis right on the firewall. That's another one to clean up. Good luck!

Maybe you have a queer electron running around blowing fuses.

Hate to say it but you could also have a wire with cracked or chaffed insulation that is shorting out to the sheet metal. Probably already guessed that though. Such intermittant problems are hard to find other than by tracing wires and inspecting every inch closely (especially the grommets where the wires to through sheetmetal). The only other suggestion would be to take apart and clean up the switches (and the bulb sockets), but looks like you are on top of that idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

If you saw only one dim headlight and this was noticed after all the other trouble then it is almost a sure thing that particular headlight wiring circuit is faulty (a dead giveaway). Disconnect that headlight and see if all is well. If it is then troubleshoot that headlight circuit. If not, then prayer might help.....LOL.

If you saw only one dim headlight and this was noticed after all the other trouble then it is almost a sure thing that particular headlight wiring circuit is faulty (a dead giveaway). Disconnect that headlight and see if all is well. If it is then troubleshoot that headlight circuit. If not, then prayer might help.....LOL.

I agree with SPIIRIT. I had the same problem as you and I rewired the headlight. No headlight-problems after that :)