HybridZ

Wheel/tiresize/backspacing/welding question

So, here's a question... I have a set of CCW 16x8 wheels with 245/45/16 tires, but the backspacing is wrong on them for my Z car. They stick out too much to fit under stock setup, and probably don't stick out enough for flares. These are 2 piece rims, and I need to to increase the backspacing.

So, here are my questions:

1. How much am I looking to spend to have the center piece rewelded for different backspacing? This is for all 4, and it needs to be done well enough to hold up in racing events. the center piece would be moved out to increase backspacing, so old welds wouldn't be visible.

2. How much do I need to increase the backspacing to fit these without flares? Or, what it should be at, is the better question? I measured these a while ago, and i think the backspacing was at either 4" or 4.5". I will also need to take into account that front wheels will need to have 1/4" spacers to clear the toyota calipers

3. Anyone know where I can get these locally done in Bay Area, Ca? These wouldn't be cheap to ship!

thanks!

I am sure CCW would do it without a problem...but the problem is that CCW is in Florida! Shipping 40lb wheels with tires to florida would get rather expensive....

but if it's 100/wheel... vs. $170 for BRE flares, + molding and paint... this would get even more expensive.

My other option is to get Subtle Z fenders, but those are 700 for a pair, + cost of paint...

true... but the thing is I am not too interested in putting flares on unless they are perfectly molded and have that "right" blend to them, which will require more money than I have to spend. I'll just sit on it and wait unless there's something cheaper than 400 bucks

Guest Anonymous

Sell the wheels, buy some with correct off set. You don't want just anyone welding on you wheels. New centers from CCW would be the only way I would go. Other wise, looks like flairs.

Guest Anonymous

Please don't take this the wrong way. Don't mean to sound like a smart a$$ but you haven't finished paying for those wheels. Sound like you are going to need paint and body work and some flairs to make them work. Factor that into the cost of new wheels or having those modified by CCW. MArk

1. How much am I looking to spend to have the center piece rewelded for different backspacing? This is for all 4, and it needs to be done well enough to hold up in racing events. the center piece would be moved out to increase backspacing, so old welds wouldn't be visible.

I'm assuming you have a deathwish if you're considering the above. If not, I think you're only cheap solution is to run 235 or 225 size tires. 245s are a bit wide for 8" rims if you're talking about road racing or autocross.

Well, I'm not saying have some hockey shadetree mechanic do it, but a professional shop. Why would this pose a problem [or, deathwish, as you put it]? The rims are originally two piece and there's a weldseam on the back. Is it because the metal would be weakened from previous welding around the edge of the inner piece?

any good rim shop could do the backspace change i believe, but man aux, you know that kills the cheap ass price you got em for right? flares would kill it too i guess-you know what, man why do good rims for these cars have to be so hard to get-then once they do, you gotta go adaptors, flares, custom, if you want bigger than 7" gawd it really sucks doesnt it?

Guest Anonymous
I am sure CCW would do it without a problem...but the problem is that CCW is in Florida! Shipping 40lb wheels with tires to florida would get rather expensive....

Your local tire shop can remove the tires and put them back on for $25 for the set.

That could save mega shipping bucks

I guess I don't understand the CCW wheels you have. All the one's I've seen from John Perner have the centers bolted to the rims. If you have a machined aluminum center that's welded to a spun or formed aluminum rim you could re-weld the center in a different position on the rim if:

1. The rim was designed to have the centers in different places.

2. The aluminum is not a hardened type (T6) which would require re-hardening after welding. Remember, the aluminum in the heat affected zone looses all of its hardening so it reverts back to the basic state of the alloy (T0).

3. You find a shop that specializes in doing exactly this to wheels. My big concern would be getting the center centered and square in the rim and not creating an out of balance condition with weld metal.

Good lcuk.