HybridZ

can a turbo always be rebuilt?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Or is their a point where there is just too much shaft play? I recently had a stock turbo thrown in for free when I bought my long block, but this thing has some wicked shaftplay. :cry: If possible I would like to rebuild and use this until I get the dough for something bigger.

Each Part will have a tolerance. As long as each part is within its tolerance then you are fine.

The only other thing you would have to worry about would be element fatigue, as in not knowing if/when the part (metal or any other alloy) is going to snap under stress.

Then it would help if you had the expertise to rebuild one...which I dont.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I've heard of some places using over sized bushings on a machined down shaft. Probably not cheap to have done. Take it apart and have a look at the shaft and how much it's warn. You may be able to throw a new set of bushings and seals in and have it run for another 20k miles, who knows.

If the wheels have hit the housings then don't bother trying to rebuilt.

Guest JAMIE T

I posted a topic a few weeks ago about adding a T4 comressor housing and wheel(and all other related), and everyne was saying that I couldn't do it my self. That it had to be balanced if you went through it. Is that only if you remove/replace wheels? It seems like you would need to remove the wheels to install bushings, etc...

Now I AM confused...

I had a GN turbo with a lightly grooved shaft. The local shop sent it(turbine wheel) to a shop in Cali and they turned it down .005". With a complete rebuild kit and shipping it was under $140, can't remember the exact amount it was a year ago. I don't know the limit they can turn stuff down. Rebuilding a turbos is pretty easy, Once you pull it apart you'll see there's really no much to them. I've never had any thing balanced and never had any problems and I've replaced wheels with new ones. Each part is balanced seperately from the factory, Turbonetics and a few other big shops balance the comp. wheel and the turbine together as one peice, the majority of small shops don't and or I should say can't.

The turbo in my orange car was not ballanced, but I did rebuild it. I changed out the t3 compressor wheel with a V trim t04 copmressor wheel. The turbo runs real nice, and I have over 10k miles on it. I've checked it out a couple times by hand and it still feels like it did after the rebuild..

I'm sure the whole assembly balance is a nice thing, but considering the price of having them do it, and the money you save just bolting the parts together yourself you could probably have the money to get that larger turbo you've always wanted, or save up for a BB setup :-D