HybridZ

rb20det rumors

fl327

ive heard thatt the rb20 will bolt up to an L series transmission, fact or fiction? i heard it was a transition type motor and nissan made it work with L series trans so they could use up all the surplus, like how you can find a p90a with solid lifters sometimes? if thats so that would make one of these very appealing to me and more people in general.

fact?

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Don't be too surprised it it does bolt up. There is a lot of commonality across Nissan modules.

I know that the L4 and L6 bellhousings are the same. They also match the Z18, Z20 and Z22 motors (I've tried). I've heard they almost match the VG30 series (V6) motors (but the starter motor location doesn't match). I wouldn't be surprised if the RB and L series share the same bellhousing.

One catch though... Nissan motors lean away from their inlet manifold. Your original L6 leans to the right, whilst the later motors with cross flow heads lean to the left. I have heard of 4cyl rally cars using new motors and old boxes with bent gearsticks and odd gearbox mounts running the transmission at a strange angle...

whoa thats a good link. yeah man, i tried it and its barely off i mean i could drill it and make it work but it would be a rig. i get good deals on RB motors now and its looking mroe and more like a possiblilty, i would love to stick a T56 behind one of those bad boys and let em know.. thats for sure. but for now, my L motor is earning its keep and the smiles dont stop on my side of town. very very nice though. thanx stony.

Guest empracing

theres tons of auto rbs on drag strips all around au and i can tell you when they launch its all on! we use 3 speeds but havent seen a sucsessfull 4 cog auto yet ps the L series box dosent come with in a mile off the vg quaddys wish i knew what did other than a million dollor 300zx 90+ box

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JAMIE T

If I ever get around to doing a RB26 swap, I am going to use a T56. I'd yank the one out of my Z28, and send that ol tubby bastard packin'.