HybridZ

Dash Removal

DatsunBoy77

Guest livewire23

I started taking the dash outta my car at 8 at night, and had it all back in by 8 in the morning. having been up under my 77 Z, I'd say it'd probably take a bit longer than that in the Z. Hope that gives you a bit of a frame of reference for the time frame.

Remove the trim panel around the heater controls/vents

When you get that off, you'll see the vent "diffuser"--big plastic vent thingy in the way--there are 2 screws (1 per side) with the heads facing you--take those out

There are 4 screws (2 each side) that hold little brackets in place--take those out (sometimes these scrwes are a PITA)

Take the diffuser thingy out of the dash

you should now be able to get all 3 of the gauges in the center out, just by removing the straps, and bringing them down.

Removing the whole dash is a little harder--there are a bunch of screws along the bottom of the windshield--gotta remove them

There are 2 brackets that attach from the transmission tunnel to the dash--they gotta go too

Unbolt the steering column and let it lay on the floor (or as far down as it'll go)

Most of the electrical connectors under the right side of the dash will need to be unplugged

There are some wires on the drivers side that go to the door jamb switch--they have to be undone also

Couple more screws on each side, at the ends of the dash (Where it meets the kick panels)

It helps to remove the center console and shifter, in case you havent already

Thats all I can come up with from my feeble memory--if you run into more problems, post em and we'll see if we cant figure it out

Jim

I am having a helluva time pulling out that diffuser. I wish i had my manual. Thanks for the instructions. I had the center part off but gave up and decided to take off the whole dash. I was about 1/3 of the way there but i think i will try that diffuser one more time.

• 3 years later...

Okay, going off Jim's instructions on removing the dash, I can't get past the first step. I can't get the damn trim panel off! I took out the four screws that hold it in, but what else needs to be removed to get the thing out of there? The dash itself is detached from the car, but it's hung up on the HVAC and radio stuff. What else needs to be done on a '73? Help! :mrgreen: