HybridZ

HP Loss With Belt Driven Radiator Fan

Guest TBroZ

Guest TBroZ

My old, old Scarab conversion 327 motor has the waterpump driven cooling fan. Sucker spins full time. I'm curious to know how much hp I'm loosing with this thing. 5...10?

Any suggestions for an electric fan upgrade?

Thanks,

Terry

image_327z_motor.bmp

Car Craft did a test a few years ago. Amazing how much power a fan like yours sucks. But what also was amazing, was how LITTLE power a thermostatically controlled clutch fan used. You can get a jukyard fan assembly or put together one with new parts for about $50. I personally like the simplicity of the clutch fan over the electric setup.

Guest TBroZ

Ah, the clutch fan option...how does that work? How does it know when to engage? Is it a direct replacement to my current?

But I like the electric set up...it never draws power from the motor. I need to...the motor is smooth, but the vehicle isn't all that fast. Though I'm spoiled with my Grand National.

TK

But I like the electric set up...it never draws power from the motor.

Not true. It draws power from the alternator which draws power from the engine. No such thing as free power.

Where an electric fan can save HP is when it is not running. But if it is running and moving the same amount of air as the mechanical (meaning providing the same cooling power), then it is probably placing the same load on the engine.

Guest greimann

Do a search on "Taurus fan" and you will find a wealth of information on the most popular electric fan setup.

I know this is a work in progress , and you are trying to get things just so it runs, but I couldn't help but notice your fuel line. One concerrn is the fitting it is hooked to is not a clamp type of fitting. The other concern is that hose looks like Home Depot braided water hose. I hope I am wrong on this. I know this is all temporary, but take if from a guy who damn near burnt his car to the ground because I did a stupid, half-ass rig job on a fuel line, change this immediately to the proper barbed fittings and hose.

:!:

The themostatically controlled flex fan uses a spring assembly. When air temperature reaches a certain point, the expansion of the spring causes the clutch to engage. They work really well and were standard on most AC equipped V8 vehicles until the mid 80's.

Guest TBroZ

greimann, I know it doesn't look pretty, but the line is okay. I bought it at Pep Boys, and it is suitable for fuel...the fitting at the end was cheezy, so I used my own o-clamp, which you can barely see.

Anyway, during 3/4 throttle accelleration (last stretch toward the house) last night, something started making a rhythmic "whomp, whomp..." sound from the back end. I'm hoping it's the R180 rear end, which is on it's way out (hopefully next weekend if I get the R200 I bought).

Wish my r180 rear end went that way but no it had to grenade at Ennis Texas Motorplex 1/2 way down the 1/4 mile track :cry:

Glad I now have a r200 3.70 LSD :D

Mike

Guest TBroZ

I don't know...grenading's cool. Maybe not 1/2 track...hold's everybody up.

I've always liked seeing high hp motor's that have a piston or rod protruding from the side of the block. Destruction's cool. I feel like Pres. Bush Jr.