HybridZ

V8 conversion kit options

Guest 280ZXT83

Guest 280ZXT83

Hey y'all

I've FINALLY got a quality rebuilt 350 in my hands to drop in my Z (1983 Turbo ZX). Are JTR and Johnscars my only options to get a kit from, or are their others? And JTR (I don't think) offers a kit for an 83, which only leaves me with Johns. Anyone done a Johns conversion?

Any advice or direction is appreciated.

Guest greimann

You have another option: Do it yourself. The kits charge a heck of a lot of money for parts you can build (or have built) yourself or buy separately. Yank the old motor and put the bare V8 block into the engime compartment and see how easy it is. Basic fabrication skills are required but nothing that a good wrenchhead can't handle. cheers.gif

you could also buy a motor and mid plate from Jegs or Summit and set the motor as far back or forward as you desire . I have the johns cars kit and I am not impressed with it . In fact my engine is tearing the poorly designed drivers side motor mount.

280zxt83:

I have a recently converted/running 83 with a Small Block Chevy Crate/700R4 automatic transmission with Motorsport Auto mounts. I talked to John a few times and concluded that I wasn't getting much of anything for a lot more money over MSA. There are some of ZX conversions out there. I have a post from last year (something like ZX conversion using MSA mounts) that is a grocery list of what I used. MSA instructions are pretty sketchy and missing some key info (such as dimpling the oil pan to clear 2 areas in the Rack & pinion steering. I also ended up having a minor drive-line vibration which was easily correcty by trimming the transmssion mount about an eight of an inch. At any rate, do read the Jags That Run Datsun V-8 Conversion Manual about a hundred times. The guys on this forum can and will help you thru the problems as they come up. The result is the car looks the same, but travels at semi-warp speed! Good luck..

Dan