HybridZ

Are 280ZX mods worth the money?

Guest jwcanfield

Guest jwcanfield

I've got an 83 280zx and I'd really appreciate some advice from all of you. Would it be worth my time/money to modify/bore the engine to 3.1 or would my money be better spent waiting for a 240z w/ a V8 swap to come along. I've got ~ 3K to modify the zx or 5K for a 240z v8. Thanks!

Walker

Guest jwcanfield

Tim, that's a great question. In Bernalillo county, New Mexico the emissions laws don't let you change/modify certain things unless the car is older than a 1974 model. Since the 280zx has a turbo model I could add a turbo charger but the car needs to have 6 cylinders when I'm done in order to keep it registered. Ugh....

Guest gerryG

One of the best qualities of a Z is handling. Why not preserve this by modding the motor. The 3.1 is pricey for what you get. If you are on a budget why not leave the motor a 2.8 and add a 83' Maxima head to get the coll squish area and high compression.

Just my $0.02 worth

Gerry, a properly done V8 conversion will not add weight, and will not disrupt the weight distribution of the car. It will actually improve it. There are a lot of myths out there like V8 Z's can't handle. Untrue. The old scarab positioning probably led to a great deal of these sentiments. The proper way to do the swap is the JTR setback method.

There are about 500 guys on this site that will first hand testify how well a V8 Z handles, and they can probably give you some numbers too comparing to the L series I6.

To the origional question, I suggest you spend your money on suspension goodies, brakes etc and get a car that carves corners. (very addictive) Once you have that done, then go nuts on the engine. Daily driver: I'd go with a 280zx with a turbo engine. The 240z is a great car, but lacks some of the comforts of the 280zx. If you want a weekend fun car, or a racer... then either will do, but 240z with V8 probably has more potential.

Guest gerryG

I agree a SBC can be done, but I assumed like you this is a daily driver, and he can get fairly good power by using a turbo on the L6 for much less money - the Maxima head was a REAL cheap upgrade.

Oh well -- to each his own.

Guest De Schmaydee

....depends on how large you want to be...ultimately if you want really big hp (that you can use) its gotta be a v8.....

its much more difficult to get a drivetrain that will hold (up well) on a turbocar at real high hp......but if you want 300-400 you can get it w/a turbomotor w/o too much trbl....i think youll come out cheaper that way....whats worth it?...is a relative term...i would determine a desired hp target....and then check out the feasibility and cost for getting there....s

Guest 280steveX

i'm asking this, too

i just bought my '83 ZX last week. it needs CV boots & front rotors for now. the struts i'm told are new, but don't springs get weak after 20yrs? i considered Eibach or Suspension Tech. lowering springs as well as tower braces & thicker swaybars.

but for the motor, i hav a chance to get the '77 N42 head for a steal. what's the difference between the P79 head i have now & the Maxima L24 head? i also plan on completely changing the exhaust, w/ Nismo headers (http://www.courtesynissan.com)& HKS catback (it's in their catalog but not on website)

any advice to my route of thinking?

Guest das280zx

Doesn't Dave Griemann have a v8 zx that is CA legal? Usually you can swap a motor in as long as it is as new or newer than the motor you are replacing. It also must meet emissions for that year. Shouldn't be too hard to acomplish with a v-8 and efi!!

but for the motor' date=' i hav a chance to get the '77 N42 head for a steal. what's the difference between the P79 head i have now & the Maxima L24 head? i also plan on completely changing the exhaust, w/ Nismo headers (http://www.courtesynissan.com)& HKS catback (it's in their catalog but not on website)

any advice to my route of thinking?[/quote']

Where did you get the HKS catalog?? And what is their website?

tia.