HybridZ

84ZX rotor, Toyota wide caliper. What SS brakelines?

I'm doing the front vented 84'ZX rotor / Toyota 4x4 wide caliper conversion. Do I order Stainless Steel lines for my 75' 280Z or does the Toyota caliper need a fitting adapter or another brakeline all together?

Thanks,

Tim

I already had the SS lines on my stock brakes. When i upgraded to the 84 rotors, and 4 Runner calipers, I just bolted them on.. I didn't have any problems with my flex lines..just put them on!

Hope it helps!

BTW its a great setup! It sure made a difference on the track.. very noticeable.

went from 14 hot laps at Mosport before brake fade, to..... well lets just say they waved me off the track because my lapping session was up... :D

Here's the track I'm talking about. Mosports driver training tracks...The big track is more fun... far more dangerous though...lots of cement walls... :shock:

Hard to see, but there are lots of elevation changes and blind corners because of it!

devtrack.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

In Sport Compact Mag's Silvia project, they used over the counter nissan parts to convert their 240sx to a five lug bolt pattern so they could mount Brembos for a z32. Has anyone tried this with a Z? Can it be done?

Guest Anonymous

The problem they ran into, was that the late model five lug 240sx's used larger spindels. They swaped out the spindels, but the ball-jiont, although they looked alike, were larger on the s14.

And they couldn't swap out the control arms because the s14's were longer, so they had to get aftermarket balljoints and press them in.

The swap is actually a little more difficult than it seems, although I would like to see someone try it on a Z. However, in another thread it was explained to me that the Z's spindels have competely different dimentions than the sx's of any chasis code and lug pattern.

the z31 was mentioned, however, as an alternative parts car for such a swap...

Please, someone try this swap and let me know if it's do-able. I'd love to be a pioneer in such a conversion, but I'm afraid of failure. Boo-hoo.

you can swap the front hubs from the z31 turbo over to the s30 easily enough, the bearings are the same you just have to get the z31 oil seal. then you can use the z31 5 bolt rotors i'm not sure about the z32 though. ross c at modern motorsports offers a 5 bolt conversion for the rear stub axles.

you can use the z31 turbo (5 bolt) hub and rotor but it is a vented rotor so you need the right year toyota calipers. i have a pair of 88 calipers and they are wide enough for vented rotors but the last pair i had were from an 84 and they would only fit over the solid stock rotor. i think the 86 calipers were the first ones to fit over the vented rotors but i can't be sure. i picked up the 88s because they have four big pistons as opposed to the 86s which had two big and two smaller pistons in them. hope that helps