HybridZ

diff removal help

drunkenmaster

Im planning to pull out the diff on my zed today or tomorrow and was just wondering if there is any advice out there as I have never done it or seen it done before.

Do the drive shafts on each side need to be removed? I have done some searches, it seems like some people do and some dont, and there is a lot of talk about marking both sides so they are orientated the right way on reassembly by matching up the marks? any ellaboration on this?

Any other beginner pointers would be great, im sure removing a diff is pretty similar on most rwd cars, im really keen to do as much to this car myself as possible.

Also i assume the car much be on stands as once the transverse links are disconnected from the crossmember/diffmount the rear wheels will lose inward support and no longer be able to carry the car? i maybe wrong?

any graphical help would be good too

Thanks guys

Guest 240hybrid

Romoving the diff. is pretty straight forward. I would put the car up on jack stands, makes it easier to work under there and its safer. For the removal you have to remove the drive axles when working with R180 types since the splines are machined into the shaft, with a R200 driveshafts you could probably just unbolt them from the differential flanges and leave them attached to the stub axles. IMO I would prob take them out so theres not anything in the way for the rest of the removal. After that you just have to pull the front driveshaft, then drop the front mount bar, unblot the diff from the mustache bar and push it foward and she'll be lose. Be safe when doing this. A tranny jack would help, but all I do is use my 5 inch pan jack and use a rachetting strap to tie the diff. to the jack. I havent had any problems with this yet, but be safe when doing it and have the diff strapped tightly and were it wont move around and come lose from the strap. Good luck with your pull. :D

Chase

• 6 years later...

Digging up an old thread....

Could someone (me) remove the diff by doing everything mentioned above, but instead of unbolting the front mount bar, just unbolt the front rubber mount and slide the whole diff out the front over the mount bar.

I ask because it would save me from having to unbolt my exhaust which is a royal PITA.

Thanks!!