HybridZ

CV's installed and you can't beleive the difference

Guest jt240z

Ross is building me up a pair of cv adaptors as we speak. they are for the 4 bolt z31. the only z31s with the 4 bolts on them that i have found are on the turbo cars( all the NAs i've seen have the 6 bolt pattern). I'm not sure what style cvs are in the 6 bolt ones (i'm guessing tripod because the 280zxt ones are tripod and 6 bolt) but the 4 bolts are a ball and cage setup and look MUCH MUCH stronger than the 280zxt axles that are now currently gathering dust in my basement. :roll: i got my 280zxt axles a month ago for $100 and yesterday got my z31 turbo axles for $20. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rick Johnson

Thanks for the great pictures and explanation as to which CV shaft is which. I know that Nissan varies the amount of balls to address vibration issues under load and during take off from zero. But I have not heard of any difference in load carrying ability.

It looks like the Z31 has 6 small balls and the 280ZX has 3 large ones. It looks like the outer diameter where the balls apply their load is similar. Does one style apply the loads at a larger diameter than the other - this would affect the actual ball load for a given amount of torque?

Is there any evidence out there as to which one stands up to abuse better???

RJ

i'm not sure as far as abuse goes but i like the fact that my 300zxt cv's are 3 years newer than the 280zxt ones. they are also alot easier to take apart and clean up. when i get my shafts back from the coaters i'll take some pictures of the disassembly and assembly. the other thing i will look into is the weight between the two. i like the fact that the adapters for the 300zxt are thinner therefore having less metal and less weight but that may be offset by the weight of the shaft itself. i'll let you know. :-D