HybridZ

Help! How do I remove the threaded studs from diff cover

Georgia Flash

:cuss: I have been trying to figure out how to get the two threaded studs out of the aluminum diff cover. I have the cover off the car and so far I can not budge the studs!

This did not surprise me because I could not ever get the fill plug or the drain plug out of the cover either. It is almost as if everything has been welded together. I tried putting two nuts on the stud and then clamped the cover in vise and placed a wrench on the inner nut. I broke one side of the wrench completely off :evil: The piece flew around my shop and almost hit me in the face.

I need to get these suckers out because I have a new cover and plugs that I will be using. My local Nissan dealer has tried to order me two new ones but they have been placed on back order. HELP!

It would take an awefull lot of heat to melt it. The heat will radiate away from the spot you are trying to melt. I would prop the piece up with the torch blowing directly at the stud, and leave it sit for about 15-20mins. Then throw the cover in a bucket of water. Quenching it quickly will cause the stud and cover to contract and break away any corrosion. it will also draw some of the water into the threads to helpl ubricate them.

I had to buy a torch to do my brake lines recently, and man it takes a job with alot of swearing and just plain breaking stuff, down to a couple minutes of easy peasy! A very bitchin $15 or so on my part. Make sure to buy a flint striker for your new toy :)