HybridZ

45-5000 rpm bog down

Guest grunt0311

Guest grunt0311

Ok so I recently got back into my z fever with a vengence after a hiatus of about 17 years. Now I have a bunch of them. My problem is with my 77. It seems to run fine except at 4500 it seems to bog down. The last owner said it happened on cold days but today it was nice (southern CA) and it happened to me. Couldn't get it past 5k almost as if no gas. Revs fine up to 4500. Anyone have any ideas? I am replacing the fuel filter and plugs tomorrow.

grunt0311

71 240z :D

76 280z parts

77 280z :?:

You might want to check for vacuum leaks, and check the air flow meter. My ZXT had a problem of not being able to get past 4500 either, and it turned out the air flow meter was bad. Now it revs fine and no bog which makes for a great drive minus my post below this! :D

John

Guest livewire23

I still have a bog at 5500 RPM, which is higher than the 4700 it was at before. I basically moved the bog up the RPM range by adjusting the AFM. Maybe my AFM is dead. Any ideas?

It could be the AFM, one of my friend's car had the same problem I did but his turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator. Other than that, the only other things I can think of are bad connections with the ECU (it happens), or maybe a TPS but I'm not as sure on that one.

John

Guest livewire23

I've got two FPRs, and both suck. and I've heard of folks running with the TPS sensor dettached, so i dunno about that one. Im looking to get an AFM off anouther guy from the board, so maybe that'll fix it. In the meantime, I think I'll switch back to my other FPR just for luck.

Guest livewire23

hey, drive around for a couple of weeks, real heavy on the accelerator, and then pull the plugs. I pulled mine to see if I was running rich, and lo and behold, to my great amazement, the plugs were golden yellow colored. High speed glazing according to haynes. I guess its time for colder plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Ya, throw the ol' plug wrenches in the car and take a ride at around 65mph for a mile ot two and while under power turn off the ignition and COAST over to the side. Pull a few and you got your reading.