HybridZ

100/120 shot of NOS - safe and reliable?

A buddy of mine who has an 8 sec. 2400lb camaro has all the experience and spare goodies lying around to hook me up with a FREE 100/120 shot setup. He'll run it on a carb plate or drill the manifold and get it all dialed in, although I don't like his idea of putting the trigger under the gas pedal. :lol:

I've got a '67 vette 327 w/ edelbrock rpm heads, performer rpm intake, holley 650dp, msd dizzy and box (which he wants to interface with the nos system) - he says with alot of confidence that I could run a small shot like this "all day long." Is this true? I mean, I won't run it day and night but occasionally. Should I take the opportunity?

Guest Your Car is Slow

make sure you are delivering enough fuel...the internals should hold 100...but if you start leaning out and detonating under spray...things are going to begin to break :/

things you should KNOW ABOUT NITROUS

YOU MUST RETARD THE IGNITION TIMING ABOUT 2 DEGREES PER 50hp NITROUS SHOT

never use a bottle heater without an oil pressure overide switch that turns it off if the engines not running, and/or (an over pressure bleed off valve) this prevent you from walking off and letting the bottle cook ( POTENTIAL EXPLOSION TO FOLLOW SOON) without them (its better to be totally safe with them than at risk without them)

always run slightly on the rich side of 13.5:1 under a nitrous load on a street engine to save the pistons/rings

never hit the button on a wet street at any speed

hitting the button before your in second gear when not useing slicks seldom results in anything but tire smoke and SLOWER ETs on street tires. a switch to turn the system (ON) and a SECOND SWITCH to turn the nitrous ON after a .1 (tenth second delay) after second gear is ingauged are great ideas

both a minimum fuel pressure cut-off switch and a engine rpm window switch are worth their weight in GOLD on a nitrous system

a minimum fuel pressure cut-off switch cuts the nitrous off if the fuel pressure falls (almost instant very lean condition results that burns holes in pistons if the nitrous flows but no extra matching fuel flows)

a engine rpm window switch won,t allow the nitrous to flow below a set RPM level (usually 3500rp min my engines) or above a second rpm level. the low rpm switch helps prevent busted cranks and pistons from back-fires and filling the whole engine with nitrous before you hit the ignition or flooding the cylinders at just off idle

the higher limit switch prevents things like fried clutchs, trashed converters,busted drive shafts ETC. from letting the nitrous loaded engine from instantly buzzing to a one way trip to 12000rpm

I usually set the upper limit nitrous switch about 300rpm lower than the ignition rev limiter cut in point for what should be obvious reasons(you don,t want the ignition cut off allowing full cylinders of fuel/nitrous unburnt dumped into the headers)

http://www.lt1f-body.racenet.net/nitrous.php

http://www.krcperformance.net/newcontent/fastsystem.html

nos.gif

msdwindowNOS.gif

http://www.geocities.com/stevetoppe/nitrous.html

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september01/nitrous.shtml

Guest Your Car is Slow
never use a bottle heater without an oil pressure overide switch that turns it off if the engines not running, and (an over pressure bleed off valve) this prevent you from walking off and letting the bottle cook (EXPLOSION TO FOLLOW SOON)

Dont scare the dude...the relief valve will give way long before the bottle explodes (yea ive seen that ONE example of the dudes car blowing up...but thats more than a bit rare)

Doesnt even need to be on a heater....even a bottle left sitting in a car on a sunny day will build enough pressure to pop the relief (happened a few weeks back).

Your Car is Slow

your correct,(Dont scare the dude...the relief valve will give way long before the bottle explodes) true but theres been more than ONE screw up altho everyone has been IDIOT induced, and with just a partly functioning brain would never have happened