HybridZ

This is going to sound really dumb

Moridin

I'm putting my tranny back in and I'm having some problems. How hard should it be to push the lever (the one that disengages your clutch, forgot what it was called)? I'm afraid that something isn't lined up or I shifted something clutchwise while I was putting the tranny in. My second question is, why did I lose all my pedal pressure? Did I get air in the lines? I tried bleeding it once with one of those vacuum bleeders, but I'm not sure what fluid should go in the clutch system. Sorry to sound so dumb here, but I really couldn't find the answers anywhere else. Thanks for having a place to let me ask all these questions though.

Alright, I bled the system some more and used brake fluid. I found a place that said to use the brake stuff. Hopefully, that was right. Anyways, to get to my point, the pedal is still really light. I hear air when I depress the clutch now. Sounds like its coming from the slave cylinder. Time for a new one? Or, is it because the clutch itself isn't disengaging properly? Maybe I'll get this figured out soon.

No, I didn't use something else from the beginning. I've never touched the clutch hydraulics until now. The light clutch pedal before I even touched the system. I'm beginning to wonder if I've lost my slave cylinder. I'll try to figure out where that air leak is coming from. I did nothing more than take the slave cylinder off the tranny to get the tranny out and when I went to put it back together the clutch was extremely light. I'm still wondering if the throw out lever thing isn't working properly. Should you be able to move it and thus disengage the clutch with some significant push without the hydraulics hooked up? Thanks for all the help so far.

Not unless you're Superman. Even a light duty clutch takes significant force to release the clutch (in terms of human strength). Basically, you're leveraging 1/8" (or even less) of PP movement with 4" of leg movement. I'm just guessing that with a pedal pressure of 20lbs (which is really nothing) X the leverage (32), thats 640lbs pressure on the bearing (sounds too small because I've used pressure plates with 2000 lbs pressure on them). Anyway, to get to the point of all this rambling, NO, you will not be able to compress the PP with your own strength. When you said you took the SC off, does that mean all the way off (i.e. break the hydraulic lines to it so that it was removed completely)?

I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to move it, but just wanted to make sure. That's why they use hydraulic fluid and all, right? Force multiplication over a distance. Oh, I didn't take the slave cylinder all the way off. Just took off the mounting bolts from the tranny to get it out. Guess I'm off to bleed it again. Its raining too. Damn. Well, gotta do what you gotta do.

I dont know if this is the same thing or not, but the slave cylinder on my 240 actually overtravelled and wedged the piston halfway out of the cylinder, blowing out all the hydraulic fluid in the process. Since it wedged in the open position, I didnt have any power going to the transmission anymore. I ended up walking to Auto Zone to get a slave rebuild kit, and rebuilding it by the side of the road. Bleeding was accomplished by loosening the bleeder screw and depressing the clutch pedal, then bracing it with a 2x4 to keep it depressed, then tightening bleeder screw, releasing clutch pedal, loosening bleeder screw, depressining clutch pedal.....and so on, until I had used the better part of 2 quarts of brake fluid. About 40 miles down the road it did it again, and I had to remove the linkage between the clutch and cylinder to drive the car, as I had no further resources to fix it. Drove the rest of the trip 200+ miles without a clutch. Developed a really good ear for engine rpm levels. Sounds like you're getting air in your system somewhere. Double check all your hose connections, hard line fittings, and maybe rebuild or replace your slave cylinder. It really sucks to lose one on a long trip.

Mike

Well, I started to get the pedal feel back. Out in the rain until 10:00P bleeding the thing with a tarp over the car. I still need to do some more, but its getting there. I actually started the car last night. Its still on jackstands and doesn't have the exhaust on yet. Sounds like a friggin Harley with straight pipes. I hate that sound. The driveshaft isn't installed either, can't find the bolts. Anyone know what size bolts I need? Thanks for all the help so far, but its coming along.