HybridZ

finally... some pics of my 377 swap in my 240

good idea mikekz! i've been to the georgia z club meetings, but there wasnt much room for v8 guys, it seemed. nice guys, other wise. we could have hybridz-georgia division meetings.

thanks jwelch :D . it handles great to me. most people that go for a ride in it are surprised. yeah, i have the scarab setup. on my next car, i plan on using the jtr setup, but i dont have any complaints about the current scarab setup. i never planned on autocrossing with this car, though. it's great for cruising around town and going REALLY fast in a straight line.

the engine wasnt the only thing done, though. before the 350 was put in, the car got new polyurethane bushings throughout, new struts, all the brakes were redone, new swaybars front (2+2 bar) and rear. besides that, the car had 54,000 original miles before the first v8 (i have lots of service receipts from the previous owners). it's got less miles than most cars made in the past few years.

nullbound, that's weird that there wasn't much room for V8Z guys - Henry, the club prez, has one heck of a nice V8Z!

BTW, one more benefit of the JTR position is the ability to run a taller air cleaner under the stock hood. I have a stock hood, hi-rise dual plane (Holley 300-36) and 3" drop base Moroso air cleaner and it has 1/2" of clearance up front. Just a little info, not pushing the JTR over the Scarab on you.

hi pete,

yeah, i have seen henry's z and it is really really nice. i knew about his car before i ever attended a meeting. i wasnt really referring to him personally, though. i caught some hints of the purist winds at the two meets that i attended. i did get to see some great cars and to mingle with some great z-enthusiasts. i drove my 6 cylinder 280 to the meet and, even though the car is about 8 different colors, people were really nice and curious about what i had done to the car. but, i was talking with a group of people outside the formal proceedings at the last meet i attended, mentioned my intent with my 240 (v8-ing it, that is), and was practically shunned from the discussion for mentioning such an atrosity. no big deal, but i still think a hybrid group would be a good idea. i plan on going to another ga club meet with my 377 240 sometime in the near future.

thanks for the mention of another great benefit of the jtr kit. i do like that it lowers the engine and sets it back closer to the firewall. my air cleaner is a drop base unit, too, same moroso as yours. i actually ran a 4" cleaner with my 350. but, i really like the look of these cars with the fiberglass cowl induction hood anyway (and the weight savings). i really like your car a great deal, though, and think that yours is definately more appropriate with the stock hood. love the color, too! i look forward to hearing further details about the progression of your car. rockon.gif

will do mike and rick:cheers:

another note for georgia hybridz-ers, once my friend paul finishes the new motor and powerglide in his '71 240 drag car (within the next month or two), we are planning on taking that car, his '72 350 car and my '73 377 car to the 1/8th mile strip in Eatonton for our own sort of silver v8 z showoff.

there are lots of guys down there with big block novas and camaros and paul's silver z is well-known for stomping the competition. i will let you guys know when that date (it will be a sunday) comes, but anyone else that wants to come will be more than welcome. rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

Any of you GA guys know of a suitable 240 in need of a swap? I have two Camaros for sale right now, and as soon as one of them goes I'll be buying one to start a new project. I looked at one at Z Car Atlanta, but it was pretty trashed. Nullbound, I'll shoot you an email soon, so maybe we can get together. Right now I'm trying to help my girlfriend get her Firebird ready for a show next weekend, so no time this week. Maybe we could start our own hybrid club. rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by nullbound:

will do mike and rick:cheers:

another note for georgia hybridz-ers, once my friend paul finishes the new motor and powerglide in his '71 240 drag car (within the next month or two), we are planning on taking that car, his '72 350 car and my '73 377 car to the 1/8th mile strip in Eatonton for our own sort of silver v8 z showoff.

rockon.gif

Let me know when...I have been wanting to go to Eatonton again soon anyway, and that would definitely make it worth the drive.

hey joe, i've got a firebird for sale myself, hehe. i will definately let you know when we go to eatonton. 2thumbs.gif

i know of a 1972 white 240z with a great red interior, a dash with NO cracks, and i believe it runs. it has been hit in the front, though, with dented drivers fender, hood, and lower valance. it would be great for a buildup, especially for $700. comes with replacement driver's fender and a good stock hood. if i could get it, i would jump on that in a heartbeat. the interior alone is worth that to me, especially since the dash has no cracks. let me know if you are interested and we can set up a meeting with the owner.

ryan