HybridZ

L6 Manifold mod to accomodate 60mm TB

CU Zcar

I was intending to put a Weber 60mm TB onto a 1983 280ZXT when my partner-in-crime who was going to set it up on a milling machine for me noted that the casting gets very thin right behind the TB flange. He suggested that the "right" way to do it would be to weld some extra metal into that area, and I see that as a good option. However I was wondering if epoxy of some sort would be able to withstand the vacuum/pressure forces involved. The worry here I think would be heat cycling, with the epoxy expanding at a different rate than the aluminum. When others of you who have bored out their TB openings for 60mm+ throttle bodies, how do you avoid cutting through your castings? Maybe I should just not cut that far on the thin parts? Thanks,

At this point, doing a tapered cut was what I figured would be best as well. I was talking with my dad about using epoxy of some sort and he didn't like the idea either. I'll probably grind it out tapered for now and if for some reason in the future I find myself feeling like it's a constriction, perhps then I'll have it welded and bored straight. I feel you're probably right though and the taper won't hurt much.

If anyone else has suggestions/different ways they did it, it would still be helpful to me to share :wink: thanks!

I have the Weber 60mm Body and did just that- filled in the thin side of the manifold with weld and had the opening bored straight through. Don't know how much this gained flow-wise, but it looks right.....

JB Weld works pretty well on aluminum - Good chance it would hold. This is not a recommendation, however.

Well, let me tell you that JB Weld works good if you accidently go all the way through. Just ask how I know........

Anyway, find yourself a spare manifold and have it done right and then while you at it port your exhaust manifold if it's turbo or put on some headers on when you swap the intake manifolds.