HybridZ

garrett internal WG housing Q

Doug71zt

Just a quick question - are all garrett internal T3 wastegate housings the same? Like - can I bolt up a nissan housing to a new garrett turbine housing? Or - are there any housings out there with a larger WG hole and swing valve?

Thanks - Doug

(Now sitting in Cyprus - waiting for the war to end)

Is there any advantage to going with a ford pattern WG housing - like a bigger outlet for the exhaust flange or a bigger WG hole and flapper. Is anyone running the Ford housing on a 240? Does it cause any clearance problems for the exhaust routing? I'm trying to decide if I should get my stock turbine housing machined for a STG III wheel or get a Ford pattern Turbine housing and WG housing for my hybrid.

Thanks Doug

Guest JAMIE T

Doug, Who is building your turbo? I want to have mine done soon, and was wondering who, what, why, etc...

I bought a T4(.85 a/r) compressor housing and wheel off ebay a few days ago. It should be here soon.

Is there any advantage to going with a ford pattern WG housing - like a bigger outlet for the exhaust flange or a bigger WG hole and flapper. Is anyone running the Ford housing on a 240? Does it cause any clearance problems for the exhaust routing? I'm trying to decide if I should get my stock turbine housing machined for a STG III wheel or get a Ford pattern Turbine housing and WG housing for my hybrid.

Thanks Doug

They are about same. I've seeb both Nissan and Ford housing on L28 with no problem. the housing needs to be machined for Stage III turbine.

Yah Jamie - It's going to be a fairly typical hybrid. I'm in Canada, so the turbo is being built in Vancouver to avoid the customs duty.To4E 60 trim wheel, .6 a/r comp., wet housing, .63 a/r turbine housing with stage III, 10 blade turbine wheel. Not sure on a Nissan or Ford housing yet. I think I may build a stainless internal WG housing no matter what so I can put a v-band flange for a 3" exhaust and a large flapper valve and transition area into the exhaust to avoid boost creep. Sort of WRX style - if you've seen those. All I have to do is make the flange that mates to the turbine housing and then build the housing out of flat sheet. Oh, yah - then locate the mounting for the WG flapper arm and on and on.... Another week in the shop. I definitely want the 3" exhaust right from the housing though.

Cheers - Doug

-If anyone knows if I can buy a housing like this - it may be worth it to me to avoid a big time expenditure on something that I can get off the shelf.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You can buy a waste gate door larger than stock that allows for porting of the W/G vent, a newer generation housing is needed and the bolt pater will be different from the Nissian housing but this flapper also makes it easier to fit a 2.50inch down pipe. Sorry guys that about as big a down pipe you can truly get out of a T3 without buchering it. You usually spend a little more cash on a complet set up but your still better off than adding a unwarrented external wastegate. I spray my car 100hp on the NOS with a 60-1 on the compressor side at 18psi with no boost creep, internal wastegate. Give me a call.

Alex

Costa Speed & Performance

305-888-3015