HybridZ

daily driver engine choice

mobythevan

I can either leave the L26 in my car which seems stock, or go with an L28 which will be stock. I have never driven the z-cars with either engine, is there enough difference in torque to go with the L28. This is a daily driver and either engine will be stock or real close to it. Both engines would be set up with SU carbs. Also, is there a difference between 280Z stock engines and 280ZX stock engines(assuming either would now have SU carbs). It will cost me the same amount of money to get either one running(L26 or L28).

If I swap L28 fom a ZX into 240 car, can I use the 240 clutch, pp? I want to do the simplest swap possible, so I will stick with the 4 speed tranny in the 240.

280Z/ZX are basically the same, mounts and manifolds are compatible since both are FI and the head design is largely the same. There are round port and square exaust port heads to choose from that support FI.

The difference between the years that is obvious are the blocks, F54 in the ZX/ZXT cars which is stronger than the earlier block, for a daily driven low output NA car I wouldn't say that matters, other than a newer engine may well have less miles on it and last longer, higher compression = less blowby/more power/better MPG.

Get the 2.8 and put the 2.6 cam and followers in it. The 280z and 79-80 ZX have dished pistons, the 81-83 have flat tops. If it is a flat top L28, put the L26 head on it. There will be a big difference. I'm not sure which exhasut manifold came on your L28, but you will need to use one that matches the ports on the head. I like the 240 exhaust MUCH better than the 280, but I don't know what the 260 looks like.

Mudge had posted a link to cams, and if I remember correctly, the 260 cam was the largest as the 280 cam was about same as the 240 cam.