HybridZ

What kind of motors do yall run in your z8's?

Guest BigWhyteDude

Guest BigWhyteDude

Ive got some more questions about your z8's. How many ponies does it put out and what kind of torque does it produce?? Also are you satisfied with the motor you transplanted?

What kind of suspension work have yall done to your z8's? . Im thinking about puting a destroked 327 or a 327 in a 280 z. This would probly be out of early 80's z28 camero do you think this would be a good combonation? with probly a z28 5-speed trans too.

:burnout:

l8er guys

My engine has a 350 with forged pistons, 1.5 roller rockers, hydraulic Schneider cam (don't have the spec sheet handy) normal old Malibu heads (I think about 9:1 compression, maybe a little more.. probably 9.3:1 max, I think it's sad that I don't know the comp ratio), RPM air gap intake, double pumper 650 carb. I'm still breaking it in and tuning it but eventually I'll get it dynoed. I'd like to have 320 hp but we'll see. I have a T5 tranny also. Am I satisfied? WEll it still has a few carb demons but DAMN does it pull and god does it sound amazing with its MAC mufflers and X-pipe.

For suspension right now I'm running a Ground Control coilover kit with 200#springs front and 250# rear. I think this is right though I'm not entirely sure. Shocks are Tokico Illuminas and struts are shortened ~2". I have an MSA swaybar in front and will install the rear swaybar once I get an LSD. It rides awesome, quite stiff but not super harsh. I think with body reinforcers like a cage, subframe connectors etc. the suspension would work better. I have a rear strut brace. I'm totally satisfied with the suspension, I changed the springs out from the 150/175 rates that it had F/R before.

Suspension and brakes are a must in my opinion for doing a V8 Zcar. You will have a total balanced package when done, and be much happier... I'm on V8Z #2... 383 stroker, forged H-beam rods, forged pistons, scat 9000 crank, roller cam, Roller hydraulic valve train, Dart Pro1 heads with 215cc runners, 72cc Chambers, 2.05/1.60 valves. Fuel will be feed through a custom fuel cell into a custom FI setup with a Cutler FI intake, 42# injectors, 1000CFM TB, and Holley Commander 950. Right now I have the ground control coil overs, my custom control arms front and back, 5 bolt conversion, Wilwood and Outlaw 4 piston calipers and big rotors (12.2 in front 11.5 in back) and I plan to do the R230 rear. Trans is up in the air, since I've done the T56 thing before and want to go with something different this time.

Shooting for 400+ HP at the wheels.

Mike

Guest BigWhyteDude

dang that sounds like alot of work. :eek2: i dont want to have a motor with more than 350 hp. I want to try and keep the stock suspension set up. But replace every thing with stiffer parts. If i have to i will goto the coil over setup but i would rather not. As for breaks i want to go duel disk front and back. How do yall sugest i go about doing that? I wont a completly carbed motor b/c i dont want to deal with the fi wireing. Would yall suggest the i just buy a motor out of a car and swap it in or what? Better yet, if you were just starting into a Z8 project, would you A. buy a j/y motor for around $600 B. buy a crate motor or C. build your own motor from the block up?? :?: any way i got to goto bed its sleep time for me, thanks guys.

l8er

Im thinking about puting a destroked 327 or a 327 in a 280 z. This would probly be out of early 80's z28 camero do you think this would be a good combonation? with probly a z28 5-speed trans too.

:burnout:

l8er guys

Chevy didn't make 327s in the early 80's. If there is a 5 speed behind it, it's probably a 305, with an auto tranny, it's a 350.

I'm running a 327 w/ T56 6speed, and a shortened 12 bolt Chevy rear w/discs. Where in Georgia are you? You're welcome to come see mine to get ideas.

Guest Anonymous

Mike kZ,

I grew up in Lilburn. I'd love to check your car out some time. I'm in Lawrenceville now.

Have you seen that house on arcado with the yellow 240 that's just been rotting in the driveway?? :cry: