HybridZ

what are some good books i should read before starting?

260ZRED

ok, basicly, I won't be able to start on my L28 turbo project untill the summer's over, so meanwhile, I'm gonna get everything set straight, shop around for good deals, and try to save up some $$$ for the swap. :)

my question is: What are some good books you guys would recommend to read?

Guest JAMIE T

I got my copy of Maximum Boost from Barnes and Noble. I cussed out loud when I saw it. The guy next to me looked alittle confused :roll: . LOL...

I got "How to modify L series Nissan/Datsun engines" at the same time. Both are must have books for anyone wanting to extract power from a turbo L6. I like the pics of the Electramotive 280ZX's. Great intake manifold ideas in the L-series book. Some of the greatest racers in history have utilized Turbo L6 power to put them in the winners circle.

Guest JAMIE T

I agree with LockJaw. But, it is still the best Turbo-specific publication I have ever read. Many turbo systems(like the ones described in MB) are conservatively designed to remain reliable for 100K+ miles. Basic engine maintanance is all that is required to keep these type engine alive.

Most of us however are pushing the limits of our systems. Running 18+psi of boost is a sure fire way of making scrap metal out of ordinary engines. Most of us are using L28ET's as our platform. This engine is very stout from the factory. I have one, but I am also building a turbo specific stroker with main studs, race prepped rods and crank, custom forged turbo specific pistons, head studs, etc... Huge intercoolers, built bottom ends, etc... will help keep yoour engine running for a long time. BUT, maximum performance is a hard lesson learned. In the quest for the last ounce of performance, you will blow stuff up. Melted pistons, broken cranks, windowed block, are the result of pushing the limits. Ask me how I know. :wink: I have a Nitrous habit. I have blown stuff up. Now, I am smarter from my past experiance.

Sorry for rambling, but that is my take on the differance between conservative, and racing type turbocharging.