HybridZ

82ZXT battery terminals?

Mudge

Someone with an 80s ZXT car, maybe even ZX wiring is similar...

I am trying to figure out which battery posts go where. One of them is bare, with what looks like a ground connection and then connects to something else, maybe the starter?

Then there is another terminal set with a small box on one end, with red green and black wires, which is a connection spot for about 3 different connectors on the harness. I am assuming this goes to the positive lead on the battery but am not sure, everything is black as far as terminal covers so nothing is obvious as a modern car would be, and should have been then. There is no red on any of the posts in other words.

Figured ground would ground somewhere, but there are two end terminals for bolt down. I will keep looking.

Positive runs to starter, any idea which side or does it not matter?

Do you have a diagram of the alternator side or picture? After this I'm about home free. I appear to be missing one plug (prong) that goes into the alt which is mostly what I'm worried about, I think the rest of the wiring is correct but not positive, and of course I'd rather not fry something. I should have taken pix before hand, somehow didn't occur to me.

Thanks!

Ignition may be a sticking point (I had GM HEI before), fill the trans, wire & mount the pump (half way done), cross over ignition hookup to new harness, hookup the linkage (may be missing a peice or two), fill rad with water and bleed the system, and then start chasing down all these -open- vacuum lines. There is also something else which looks like an adjustable vacuum thing or something, from near the AFM area and I'm not sure what it is, but I'll find out eventually I suppose.

I get spark when turning the key towards off, but I do not get a constant spark when I am turning it over. I unfortunately did not look at how the coil was wired in the other car, nor did I label it because it looked obvious (mistake). I am fairly certain I am using the correct part of the harness (somewhat tough to get wrong), but the complete coil wiring is a myster to me.

There is a 2 prong connector below the coil which is shorted to itself, yet has both the ground and positive coil wire going to it, so this I assume is the resistor?

On the distributor there is a 4 lead connection, that is hooked up to the harness. There is also however a single prong connection and I dont know what its for or where it goes, it is at the base of the dis of course. Other than the coil connection to dis, and spark plug connections that is the only remaining one without a home. Unfortunately on the same part of the harness there are two connectors with no home, I am thinking they may be for the water pump, one is a male "round-spade" type connection, the other has no connector on it (broken). The broken wire was yellow and I think the male plug was black but I am braindead right now.

So basically the distributor and coil are in question for me right now, the fuel pump works. I suppose its also possible that the injectors are dead, dont know. I think the rest of the wiring is ok but I will check tomorow of course, spent a couple hours trying to figure out the dis/coil thing and just no go.

If anyone has pictures of wiring in these areas or wiring diagrams that would be great, I will go through the book again to see if I can get some kind of understanding from it.

This is an 82 setup, so the "crank sensor" is in the dis.

Someone with an 80s ZXT car, maybe even ZX wiring is similar...

I am trying to figure out which battery posts go where. One of them is bare, with what looks like a ground connection and then connects to something else, maybe the starter?

((((((((((((((use your old positive cable, one end to battery, the other to the "nose" of the starter solenoid, to bump the car over, its just the one wire that has a spade connector on it)

Then there is another terminal set with a small box on one end, with red green and black wires, which is a connection spot for about 3 different connectors on the harness.

((((((((((((that sounds like ground, with connections to the small fusible link, the rectangle box, and the efi relay

Mudge Posted: 31 Mar 2003 11:12 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get spark when turning the key towards off, but I do not get a constant spark when I am turning it over. I unfortunately did not look at how the coil was wired in the other car, nor did I label it because it looked obvious (mistake). I am fairly certain I am using the correct part of the harness (somewhat tough to get wrong), but the complete coil wiring is a myster to me.

((((((((((((((((((jump the positive side of the coil with a wire to battery, works)))))))

There is a 2 prong connector below the coil which is shorted to itself, yet has both the ground and positive coil wire going to it, so this I assume is the resistor?

(((((yes, hook that up to the coil leads, and hook it up to key on power)

On the distributor there is a 4 lead connection, that is hooked up to the harness. There is also however a single prong connection and I dont know what its for or where it goes, it is at the base of the dis of course.

((((leave it alone, your car will run fine without the single prong at the base of dist))))))))))))

Other than the coil connection to dis, and spark plug connections that is the only remaining one without a home. Unfortunately on the same part of the harness there are two connectors with no home, I am thinking they may be for the water pump,

(((((((((((NO. water pump will run mechanical, one could be for that injector fan, which you wont need, water temp sender should be from your old harness,))))

one is a male "round-spade" type connection,

((((sounds like water temp, if its a bullet connector, but that would be from 240z harness right?)_

the other has no connector on it (broken). The broken wire was yellow and I think the male plug was black but I am braindead right now.

So basically the distributor and coil are in question for me right now, the fuel pump works. I suppose its also possible that the injectors are dead, dont know.

(((((((((((i dont think its the injectors, they cant all be dead, you should at least be able to get it to start off a couple.)))))))))))))))

I think the rest of the wiring is ok but I will check tomorow of course, spent a couple hours trying to figure out the dis/coil thing and just no go.

(((((((((((((((((coil transistor probably not wired up if everything else looks like its getting power, it needs key on power to get voltage to the coil, if you want it to start fast, you can hotwire to the battery to get it to kick over, if it does, then thats your dilema.))))))))))

Figured ground would ground somewhere, but there are two end terminals for bolt down. I will keep looking.

((((((((ground goes to top bolt of starter near the bellhousing, we left that one loose so you could hook the ground up, the other wire off of it ground to firewall.)))))f((((((it may be different on a zx, but i know for sure on my car it wont even crank if i dont ground to that stinkin top bolt.)))))

Positive runs to starter, any idea which side or does it not matter?

(((just to the nose of the solenoid, thats it)

Do you have a diagram of the alternator side or picture?

((((((((the only two that really matter are the one with -| plug and the thick ten guage that goes to battery, you may have to do some more work since i think your car was external regulator before.))))))))))

the other plugs are for the "charge" light, which wont matter since you are using a amp/gas gas.

starter solenoid should have the positive lead, the alternator feed line, and a two other thiings i dont remember right now. sounds like your real close, let me know if you need anymore help, im only a telephone call away.

((((((((((((((((((jump the positive side of the coil with a wire to battery, works)))))))

Ok, I tried that one too with a relay, so perhaps my problem is something else (maybe computer not getting juice).

((((sounds like water temp, if its a bullet connector, but that would be from 240z harness right?)_

Actually they both use similar connectors, then again I had an N42 on the 240Z so maybe that would be why. I have another N42 thermo housing with the connections on it and I forget how they are different, but only in that there are I believe two extra connections, like the water temp sender appears in the thermo housing on the N42 where the P90 looks to be between 5/6 cylinders(?)

I figured it would just run rich without the temp sensor hooked up, kind of like an open loop on a modern car, but I will try to hook that stuff up also. There is a male bullet and female bullet on the thermo housing currently though, I'm not sure if what goes there comes off the coil harness or if I didnt route something I should have.

(((((((((((((((((coil transistor probably not wired up if everything else looks like its getting power, it needs key on power to get voltage to the coil, if you want it to start fast, you can hotwire to the battery to get it to kick over, if it does, then thats your dilema.))))))))))

Oooooooooook, there is a module that looks similar to the GM HEI thing except its all metal, I think its 3 or 4 pronged, that is probably it. I will check on that!

((((((((the only two that really matter are the one with -| plug and the thick ten guage that goes to battery, you may have to do some more work since i think your car was external regulator before.))))))))))

Ok, the -| plug is hooked up from the NEW harness but I did not splice in the old one, and that was popping in my head this morning. Its a tight reach there so thats why I didn't cut things up, I will setup a spade hookup so I can branch them together and hook them up. There is another connector in the same region of harness about 6" closer to the firewall that has the same darn connector, and I dont know what its for, it has black shielding but from the rest of the wiring I think I am using the correct one.

Thanks for the help dude, I thought you were in Vegas this week. I do have the starter correct, it cranks great, just wont fire, maybe its my FI. The set of connectors coming off the + battery term is missing one 2 prong male connection to it and I dont see any two prong males on the harness like this, it would be a | | pattern which is also abnormal from the other -| type stuff. This is the box with the green and red wires, which I think is what you are calling a fusible link (dont even know what that is, I expected a fuse...)

Anywho, yeah it seems close, thats why I stayed up later to try and get it right, just no go, hopefully tonight. I will definately call if I can't get something going.

((((((((((((that sounds like ground, with connections to the small fusible link, the rectangle box, and the efi relay

Oh crud, that is coming off the + terminal right now, from the length of the cable I thought it was positive, plus the red and green wires, damn Nizzan wiring. The one I'm using for - on the battery right now is black with a yellow stripe, which on the rest of the harness I thought was ground.

I'll take a closer look and swap those I guess, since you say use the stock + it sounds like I have these backwards, oops.

if you are using the ground from the zxt harness it would be that one with the b/yellow combo goin on. all metal gm module looking thing is the transistor if its connected to the coil bracket.

head temp sensor is on the side of the head, not by the therm housing, nothing there will make you run rich.

yes, i just got back in from vegas last night about 6pm, it was a blast, except getting took :roll: minimum 14 stiff drinks (no beers, some comps, small bottle hennesey in my back pocket) a day starting at 1pm, two buffet meals a day( gotta do it, especially when youre rocking Eggs, bacon, porkchops, and calimari steaks for breakfast, with primerib and hash browns YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH), rolling with the baddest crew there is-my crew baby! the last day we got sick of getting broke by the tables, so we decided to throw the rest of our money away at the strip club, i got the thangs rubbed in my face for hours man oh man oh man.

sin city is right :twisted:

i would have tried to get a hold of you too man, i just lost track of everything once the hennesey, long islands, and stoli started getting into my system, and man the craps was hittin!!!! i was on those from 11pm to 830am the first night and actually was getting over good, all in all i broke even, but spent a lot in the VIP room...you know what they say about the champagne room---ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ratedZ-i honestly dont know how you live there man, its just evil man,

pure frekin evil man.... for 48 hours i slept about six hours, screaming frisco city every chance i got, and alcohol poisoned like i never does man, i think its beacuse i hate beer so much, i drinks for real maiiiiiiiiiiiiiinggggg!!!!!!!!!!! i also dont know how you dont weigh like 400lbs from all the cheap food, man i must have injected 6lbs of meat a meal!!!

happy your NPR install went well, im waiting on the pipe to do mines, im not running the big one , im actually going to run the smallest one with 2.5 in/out, should be fine for whatever my T3 can throw at it, all 12lbs of it, . :twisted: are you really running 15 psi bone stock?????

im still sick.............