HybridZ

i got my car back from paint prison.... temporarily

nullbound

i picked up my car on saturday from the paint shop. the color is bmw titanium silver. wet-sanding and buffing hasnt been done yet, but will be done after some other things are done (fuel cell installation, etc). the painter did great work in many areas, but some things still need work/werent done as instructed. the exhaust cut out on the passenger side was really not what i asked for and looks like it was done quickly with tin snips. the painter was really cool about my complaints, though, and has agreed to fix everything i wasnt happy with. so much work left to do....

fc6af923.jpg

fc6af9c2.jpg

man those first gens sure do look great in silver dont they?!

and the BMW silvers are the best ive ever seen.

your going to have one beautiful Z car when your done. hopefully youll get her back a bit quicker this time. just be glad your not me...mines been in paint jail for 7 months now. but man it looks incredible! then its off the the interior guy for full suede treatment.....ANOTHER three months!

argh!

laterZ

yeah, i love all the bmw colors, especially the silver. i have another '70 240Z to be done after this car is "finished" and was planning to have it painted bmw alpine white. but now, i'm actually thinking of doing the '70 car silver, too, just a little darker like the bmw steel gray metallic.

but, OUCH! 7 months? i thought 3.5 months was a lot, but you've definitely got me there. i cant really complain too much, as the painter did a hell of a job on most of the bodywork that needed to be done. it's just that few things that he seemed to rush on that got me a little upset. i tend to look at doing things for others as i would do for myself. it will just have to go back to the painter for a few weeks, though.

thanks for the kind words and good luck with your project! :D full suede? too cool!!

i now have to go look at my jeg's and victoria british catalogs and continue with the while-i'm-at-it syndrome. :shifty:

Man, I can't believe that silver is al the rage these days :evil: That is MY favorite color too and it'll no longer be somewhat unique...grrrr. Now I have to go plan "B": two tone paint with some subtle flames or something. I'm still planning.

Your Z looks fantastic in the photos---extremely straight with just the right hue of silver. BMW made a very smooth looking silver in the late 1970's/early 1980's with the 320i. I just love that color and would not hesitate to paint my Z that color. Lookin' good!! :2thumbs:

Davy

Guest Want aZ

Back in the 70's BMW painted their competition cars a kind of silver but had a greenish tint to it was absolutly beautiful. think that would be a great color for a Z, Cant wait to get out of the service and settled so I can start my project...

Guest Want aZ

Null,

Are you around the Acworth area? Will be down there in June as my son is getting married, would love to see your car, maybe pick up some pointers....

How would you like to wait TWO YEARS for your car to be painted? And I brought the car there completely stripped of paint, glass, brightwork, interior and drivetrain! I brought the car to many shops here in NJ (by trailer) only to be told that "We don't really get involved with that kind of work." One guy quoted me 30 large!!! When I did find someone that was honest he told me that they can make so much more on insurance work that it doesn't pay for them to take on complete paint jobs. The shop that finally did do the work took $6k and ran. There are runs all over the place, fish eyes, you name it. The owner told me that it wasn't a $6k paint job because there was body work that had to be done. Shopping cart dings. Next time I want to paint a whole car I'm sending it out of state where it looks like people actually take pride in their craft.

Can you tell I'm a little jealous?! Your car looks great!!

Joe

thanks for the complements everyone. i agree that it's a relatively short period of time to wait and don't intend to sound too shrewd. but at the same time, I was promised faster results. the same painter painted a car i recently sold and it took him 11 months to do that. after the 11 months for that car, it still needed wet-sanding and buffing, as well, but the end product was worth the wait.

Want aZ, I live just outside of the perimeter of atlanta, in dunwoody. that's a little less than 30 minutes from Acworth, depending on the traffic. the car is actually going to be (re)assembled about an hour's drive south of where i'm currently living. no garage at the townhome... </sigh> if you're willing to go for the drive, i'm more than willing to show you my car and a few other v-8 z's in various stages.

man, rags, i'm sorry to hear about your paint woes. it's such a shame that there are so many shops (paint or otherwise) that do such shady things. two years is outrageous, especially given the outcome. thanks for putting it in perspective.

as soon as i get this thing back together, i'll be parking next to mike kZ at a georgia z club meet to see whose car gets more attention: mine, mike's or a bright yellow 300Z with pink neon lights. neon attracts 'em like flies.

as soon as i get this thing back together' date=' i'll be parking next to mike kZ at a georgia z club meet to see whose car gets more attention: mine, mike's or a bright yellow 300Z with pink neon lights. neon attracts 'em like flies.[/quote']

Actually it seems 350Zs attract 'em like flies! :D . That group is more purest than anything, just a hand full of V8 guys. So Ryan will it be finished for next month! :-D

Actually it seems 350Zs attract 'em like flies! :D

yes, that's sadly true...

i'm hoping to have the car on the road in less than two months, but i can easily see it taking longer. i know the interior wont be back in completely in that amount of time.

my friend glenn is doing the fuel cell installation for me now, as well as the cutting of the hood latch and stock tranny mounts in the tunnel. i have no welder, nor skills to use a welder if i did have one. he's got all the cool air tools, welders, plasma cutters, and the skills to use them properly. it's going to take two to three weeks for that job to be done, as glenn has a lot of other things on his plate besides my car.

after that comes the detailing and repainting of the firewall, which i will do. i'll also be changing my front springs and replacing the diff with an r200 3.90. then there's those 280ZX turbo cv's i got yesterday... everything else is ready to go in, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it. and i can only work on it on weekends, assuming i dont get sent out of town for work. :roll:

i want to get it on the road soon, but i also want to take my time with it and do everything right. you'll know when it's done, though. you'll probably hear me crank it from the other side of the city, hehe :twisted::twisted: