HybridZ

302 or 350 (chevy)

Guest Want aZ

Guest Want aZ

OK,

I know that the JTR Book is written for the Chevy SB, as I have it, but am also intrested in the 302 , especially when linked to the T-5, as they seem to be plentiful and easily obtainable. The question that I do have is in reference to the JTR setback plates, and motor mounts to use. As the JTR Book is well documented, and there is little (none) published on Ford conversions.

I do know that the SB Ford is easily upgradeable especially in EFI Form, and is easily capable of 400 HP, with the use of Upgraded Heads, Cam, Intake and Injectors, Just really looking on possibilities on which way to go, as I am neither a Dedicated Ford or Chevy fan as I currently own 1 of each.

Thanks

Damon

Some advantages/disadvantages to both setups, but I sure love that Ford sound. The 5.0 engine is also reportedly small, and should tuck in quite nicely. I would certainly pick a 302 over an L98, but versus an LT1, its mostly a cost/size/preference issue for me.

The only thing I dont like about the 302 FI from what I know, is the cost of working with the computer. It is not cheap like Tunercat is for a GM car at not even $100, minus the cable or bench top setup. If you have knowlege though of cheap solutions for programming the 302 FI that would be great to pass on :) there is no way I would get a carb engine, I'm highly prejudice against them, but that is just my anal attitude 8)

350-400 HP from a potent 302 would be astounding in a Z car I am sure, and thusly it is tempting, although I know likewise I could easily pull a streetable 500HP out of an LT1 and still bang down good gas mileage and make good torque, that is why I love FI and fully programable timing/fuel maps. LS1 would be great too but the cost sure goes up drastically, especially if you want to open it up, although then again there are guys getting 390-420 RWHP on stock heads and WEENIE cams, the tuning is about $500-$550 though currently.

I dont like the idea of band aid tuning like adjustable MAF setups, but what were you planning on doing to tune it? One of the things which will have a huge impact on a car with a large cam, is how your timing is. Most moderate cams seem to run well though on stock timing, but I like them mid-sized, 230/240 or thereabouts, McNasty cams :)

Guest Want aZ

I already know of the flexibility of the 302, WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS:

1. Are the JTR setback plates used or a variation thereof?

2. What type of motor mount adapters are used, the pedestal type such as JTR has or something different?

3. I am aware that the wiring would have to be sorted out as well, the JTR book provides a walk thru of this, is there anything on doing it with FoMoCo Products?

Im not looking at a diatribe on how to warm over the 302, Im able to research that, obtain the necessary parts, and assemble properly.

Thanks

Damon

The ford swap is similar in almost every way to the Chevy swap. except the motor mounting and trans crossmember. I sell a crossmember that is very close to a bolt-in for the Ford swap, only 4 holes need to be drilled. Chekc out my website at http://zcar.netdojo.com/fordswap.htm .

Many people have used this crossmember and have had success with it. If you have any questions about it, email me at zcar@netdojo.com and I'd be happy to answer. Most of the info is up on my site, I try to be thorough.

As far as EFI on the Ford, just find a donor 5.0, truck, or LTD, or you can use a new computer from Ford (but they aren't cheap new!). The EFI fits under the hood easily, and you'll just have to add a larger send line for fuel, 3/8", and use the stock 5/16" for a return. There is a $5 EFI swap wiring book you can pick up from Ford Motorsport, makes wiring it easy.

Hope that helps.

AL :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

This question is for alsil...

I will be installing a 350HP Ford 302 (have the engine and the car it was going into was stolen, stripped, and torched). Chevy 700R4 Trans (same scenario).

My block is the older 1968 302. There is also an added length to the transmission connection to allow for the Ford to Chevy Conversion. My mechanic dislikes all Ford Automatic transmission (says they are too weak). I believe the additional length is just over 1/2 inch. Will your mounting system work using this setup?

Hmmmmm.....

with my mount, you CAN slide the engine forward, there is plenty of clearance, but I would do it only enough to clear the extra length you need. As far as I know, guys are running 10's with slightly modified AOD's, so I don't know if the 700R4 is really needed, but ifyou already have it and the adapter, then go for it.

The only drawback to sliding the engine forward is more weight will be over the front wheels, but the 302 is MUCH lighter than the stock motor, so you will still retain handling, at least a little better than stock weight dist.

You might also have some steering shaft interference because of the engine being farther forward, but maybe 1/8" to 1/4" less....

That's all I can think of, any more questions go ahead and email me at zcar@netdojo.com.

thanks!

Al :D