HybridZ

R230 front mount ( need some pics)

mas28O

I'm sure that with a little patience , a cutting tourch, and a welding machine I could do the job. Guess my next step is to go out and spend $600-800 on a mig welding maching, wire, bottles and tourch :frown:

All I have used for my entire project (lots o' fabbing), is my Harbor Freight gasless MIG (MIG with flux core wire), and my little 4 inch makita grinder with cutting disks. My welder cost me $300 and something a couple of years ago and had performed well. The actual construction time is minimal, it's the design and trial and error test fitting that takes time.

For example, for the trans mount and the Diff mount I probably spent a whole day just laying under the car going over different solutions in my mind.

Once I made up my mind on how I wanted to do it, it took me a couple of hours to actually make them.

One of these days I need to break down and buy a reg and gas bottle for my welder!!!

I would spend money on a cutting torch setup. You will end up spending more time on the piece because you will have to clean-up the cuts with a grinder anyways. Using a cutting disk gives a clean cut that requires very little clean-up, and smoothing. I bought an Oxy-Acetylene welding/cutting kit for fabbing my headers, and haven't touched it since.

Tim

I worked in a fab shop for a year and a half and got good with a cutting torch. For smaller gauge sheet metal, a 00 tip(or smaller) would be fine and the cuts made by the smaller tips are a lot cleaner, cleaner than a plasma cutter. You just have to adjust your valves correctly.

Tim about the R230, do you remember what the ratios were throughout the years? I remember an old post about the different years and what their ratios were but have been unable to find it.

I always maintained that I would be happy to make some mounts' date=' but untill my car is on the road and I've road tested my mount, I feel very uncomfortable selling them.

Tim[/quote']

Slap it on my car and let's test it! Give me some measurements and I'll check how

similar my driveshaft is to yours, etc.

Owen

Tim, other than the CV adapters which lets the newer style CV halfshafts bolt up to the stub axles of the Z-car, what's involved in modifying the CV half-shafts themsleves? Are these the ones from the Q45 or ?

Does anyone know what gear ratios are available in Q45 difs? Thanks in advance for your time.

The shafts need to be shortened or new ones made. There's a bunch of info on this site if you search for it. And if you're starting from scratch, maybe going with the newest mod for the outer CV joint is the best? Someone posted on this, do a search and check it out.

Owen

Time for the drive shaft now. Looks like it needs to be 28" long on my car. I will find out how much it will cost to have the Q45 drive shaft made in the morning.

Does anyone know when Ross will make the cv flange?

Tim it looks like I may have to take you up on the flange.

Mike

Lets try to get 5 sets sold and get the price down to $200.

I can't really give any promises on exact price, but when you get your group buy together, I'll lobby for you guys. The other person that showed an interest was Mike (brokebolt).

Tim