HybridZ

Strut brace problems

Alright, so here's the deal. I got the rear one in with a little bit of persuasion, but everything went alright. As for the front, it has been a different story. It almost seems like the bar is 1/2" too short. I don't know how to tweak/twist/bend the frame enough to get it over. I've tried jacking different corners and parts of the frames up, but it did not work. Does anyone have some ideas? I have some pics, here they are:

album_pic.php?pic_id=488

album_pic.php?pic_id=481

album_pic.php?pic_id=483

It looks like it was made to short. Does your hood line up OK? If things were twisted that far out of line there'd be a 1/4 inch gap around the hood.

Send that picture to the folks you bought the bar from and see what they say about it. Let us know how you make out.

- Joe

Guest greimann

Try installing the brackets first and then put the crossbar in place. You might just be fighting the geometry of trying to swing the assembly into place.

No prob, I'm sure several others can do the same? It would be interesting to see how these cars are, after 30 years. I dont have a brace yet unfortunately, but I figure a few numbers from various folks must be worth something.

moridin, I spaced out on this one, totally forgot...

I also didn't think, well the engine is in the friggin way, to measure this spec. So the next best thing I could figure (easily by myself) was to measure:

Inspection lids (outer to outer) 49.75"

In front of the radiator bracing inside each fender 39.5"

Dont know if that helps at all, measuring from the studs though with the engine in place apperantly though is not as easy as I thought, doh.

Well, I checked your measurements, and they are the exact same on my car. PDK said they'd take care of anything that had to do with their product. Those guys there are wonderful. Hopefully, when I get some more money (gonna be broke, because of a turbo motor upgrade) I can really start pushings for those carbon fiber interior pieces they can do.

Does anyone have any factory Z measurements? Shock tower to shock tower? I'm pretty sure my frame is pretty straight, but you never know.

Thanks again Mudge, for the measurements. Its put me in the right direction as to what to do. Why didn't you come out to the Rio Vista meet? Are you planning on going out to Sac. in May? Well, now its time to measure the bar that PDK sent me to see if that's off.

I planned to go, but I am trying to make Laguna on wednesday, and my turbo car swap still will not fire the injectors, so I'm trying to figure that out with what info I have and a little of what I think is common sense :bonk: hopefully I am not misleading myself :ugg: I am reduced now to methodology, mapping everything out on paper, to check yet once again.

My car doesn't even really have squeeks or rattles just yet, so I'm thinking the body and frame is in generally good shape. An STB isn't as tough to make as a set of headers, but every once in awhile someone gets a "christmas day set" where something is just off a bit, so I hope this has an easy solution for ya.