HybridZ

ZXT Automatic into a 280Z 5-Speed. ECU?

cygnusx1

I am considering purchasing an 83ZXT, 2+2, automatic, to use as a donor for my 1976Z - 5-speed. Will the ECU out of the ZXT automatic work with my 5-speed setup. The five speed is a ZX non-turbo unit. Any other issues when converting a ZXT motor to a 5-speed application in a Z?

Thanks,

Dave C.

http://WWW.HVMP.COM

Yes it will work, I heard there is a 500 RPM lower gov in the AT unit though, and supposedly the timing is a tad different but that I do not know for sure.

There is a spacer on the back of the crank after removing the flex plate that will have to come off, before your pilot bearing can go in.

...so long as the ZXT automatic crank can take a 5-speed Z flywheel, a pilot bearing, and the 5-speed bellhousing, it should work. If the Automatic ECU is N.G. for a five speed, I guess I could pick up a ZXT manual ECU somewhere. I actually have two different bell housings, that fit on my 5-speed. One is from the 5-speed trans when I got it and the other is from the original Z 4-speed that came out. To bolt up the 5-speed to the 76Z motor, I had to put the bell on from the original Z 4-speed.

It seems like the ZXT automatic motor should work in my 5-Speed Z with some minor part swapping and tweaking.

Any other "Head's Up's" ?

Thanks Much,

Dave C.

Guest Anonymous

Hi, is there a 4 speed automatic for the Z ???

I thought 79-83 only comes in 3 speed automatic???

I would love to install a 4 speed auto into my 81 ZXT.

Please reply,

Thanks much!

Sorry if I confuse people.

My 76 280Z came with a 4-Speed Manual. I Installed a 5-Speed Manual using the bell from the 4-speed manual tranny. Now I want to put in a 280ZXT Motor from an Automatic 280ZXT with my 5-speed MT. I dont know anything about the ZXT Automatics but I doubt it's a 4-Speed Automatic. If it is, you have first dibs if and when I pick up the car!

:shock:

Dave C

GOOD THING I HAD THE MANUAL :lol:

My 83 turbo engine came out of an automatic car and it has gussets attached to the bottom of the block for extra support to the bellhousing I guess. Does anyone know if the maual tranny cars also used these gussets, I'm just curious.

Same thing for the 5 Speed.

Tim